Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand Perception

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    And also, everyone knows rolex, it almost takes a wis to know Tudor. Makes them all the more interesting to me.
    I was in the AD just after this past Christmas and while the rep was going to get my new Ranger from the back some guy with too much bling to go with his fur coat says to me in front of the Tudor display "they have a sister company you know". I'm certain he was waiting for me to ask who but instead my reply was "I thought Tudor was the sister company"

I certainly meant no offence, but I guess he walked over to the other part of the store simply to impart his wisdom on someone else instead.
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

2. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    With Rolex's new 10-year service interval, the actual difference in servicing may be much smaller. If Tudor makes a move to use in-house movements in more of their watches, it may actually be cheaper to service a Tudor over that time span.
    Fuzzy, I read conflicting opinions regarding this 10 year service interval. Is it stated anywhere on Rolex material(s), manuals, etc that the recommended service interval for new Rolex watches is 10 years. Just curious as some have opined that Rolex had noted the 10 year intervals as common but that it was not a stated Rolex recommendation. Any input (from anyone) would be appreciated . . .

Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    Fuzzy, I read conflicting opinions regarding this 10 year service interval. Is it stated anywhere on Rolex material(s), manuals, etc that the recommended service interval for new Rolex watches is 10 years. Just curious as some have opined that Rolex had noted the 10 year intervals as common but that it was not a stated Rolex recommendation. Any input (from anyone) would be appreciated . . .
    This is a copy of the memo that was sent out to AD's
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  67.0 KB
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

5. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    And also, everyone knows rolex, it almost takes a wis to know Tudor. Makes them all the more interesting to me.
    I like my Tudor as a stealth Rolex. I'm getting the tech (movement, Oyster case) at a fraction of the price. Was looking for vintage DJs and Air Kings when I stumbled on my Oyster Prince.

And yes, I like that the styling is a bit more out there :-)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438929246.182692.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  46.8 KB
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

7. Likes Chase, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    I like my Tudor as a stealth Rolex. I'm getting the tech (movement, Oyster case) at a fraction of the price. Was looking for vintage DJs and Air Kings when I stumbled on my Oyster Prince.

And yes, I like that the styling is a bit more out there :-)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438929246.182692.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  46.8 KB
    Those indices are just great. Love how they incorporated the rose at 12

Thanks, m!
    Yes, I like that particularly too - the rose is there, but not visually distracting from the crisp geometry of the design :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

The new Tudor and Rolex movements were announced at the same time, and in terms of appearance they've plenty in common. I'm looking forward to someone knowledgeable getting their hands on both and explaining what the relationship is between the two, in terms of design, materials, quality of parts etc

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    This is a copy of the memo that was sent out to AD's
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  67.0 KB
    Thanks Chase! Dunno, "the typical timeframe . . . . grown to 10 years" is a bit vague (to me anyway). Wish it had read something like "we now recommend a 10 year service interval for all new watches" or "and the length of our recommended service interval has changed to 10 years" something like that. I gotta go pull out a Rolex manual and see what or how they define recommended service interval . . .
    Last edited by uchinanchu; Aug 7, 2015 at 07:40 AM.

With Rolex and Tudor you could never win with brand perception. Tudor and Rolex are the same where a true enthusiast is wearing it for the appreciation of what it is while the non WIS will say it's just a Tudor you should of got
    The Rolex for a little more money and Rolex can be perceived as your just trying to show off. Haven't come across a brand yet that did not get criticized and Tudor and Rolex are probably top of that positive and negative perception list for sure

Blog Entries
    It's that old Boxster/911 argument that continues to make no sense.

Tudors are great for what they are. Far more whimsy and creativity in design. Who cares about a common ownership? Rolex would never have put out the Heritage Chronograph.

Rolex, in many ways, has become a victim of its own success. No radical designs; for the prices they command, the customers demand only incremental changes and even then complain about them. I mean, all this talk of the "maxi" Submariner.....it looks basically the same. I couldn't tell the difference unless you put a new one next to an old one, and I'm told I have a relatively excellent attention to detail. Their success allows them to sell their watches and exorbitant prices, alienating many and causing some to scoff at how overpriced they are. And then some people respond with the "it's not overpriced if people pay the price", which is technically true from an economic standpoint, but has little to do with reality.

And yet, Rolex manages to stay away from the criticism that another successful and mainstream brand is drenched in all over the Internet. If unearned disdained were hurled tomatoes, TAG Heuer would be stained red. I don't understand why, but that's the reality of it. And Rolex continues to have an allure that few can match. Not even a 20 year modern James Bond connection can make people forget the Rolex with the ill-fitting NATO from oh so long ago or overshadow the fact that while James Bond wears an Omega, Daniel Craig generally wears a Rolex.

It makes you a target. With a Rolex, you're saying "I know a lot about watches; I respect the history and tradition and innovation that this company has" or "I bought an expensive watch that I've heard of (and I probably think Ferraris only come in red)”. It's a strange dichotomy.