Likes Likes:  1,953
Page 276 of 330 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286326 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 3295

Thread: What music are you listening to right now?

I recently picked this up from Walmart of all places for $14. Quality Record Pressings from the analog master tapes. Blows my mind the innovator Jimi was. I can't even imagine seeing him live in some small club in the 60s. If I could time travel...

2. Likes tribe125, hayday liked this post

Ginger Baker with jazz luminaries Bill Frisell and Charlie Haden. Great playing, but the most remarkable thing is Ginger Baker smiling and having the time of his life.

https://youtu.be/AwBtJm7JiDI

I saw Ginger Baker not long before he died. He was standing at the door of our local hospital, smoking a cigarette. I was standing a few feet away and could have spoken to him, but it was a fair assumption that he would have told me to f*** off. And he may well have been attending an appointment that wouldn’t have lightened his mood.

5. Likes gnuyork, skywatch liked this post

Blog Entries
    A little bit of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass; <span style="font-family: Roboto">https://youtu.be/Io-jchlnvJM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Ginger Baker with jazz luminaries Bill Frisell and Charlie Haden. Great playing, but the most remarkable thing is Ginger Baker smiling and having the time of his life.
    https://youtu.be/AwBtJm7JiDI...
    I remember watching this once before, and feeling like it's the first time I really heard Ginger Baker be as good as he was capable. With Cream, and even Jeff Back, Hawkwind and Bill Laswell, he sounded like he was trying to be macho on the drums (maybe it was the meth?) Here, he is immensely musical and expressive. In a 2019 Rolling Stone interview, Bill Bruford mentions how heavily influenced he had been by Ginger Baker, and this concert video actually shows that more rare, expressive side. ... and yes, a rare smile from the beast master.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Here, he is immensely musical and expressive.
    Isn’t he just! It gives some insight into how he must have played before he beefed up his style for rock music. He was strongly influenced by British jazz drummer Phil Seamen, and it’s not hard to see how his playing in the video came from that. It’s not straight jazz drumming, just as his rock playing wasn’t straight rock playing - it’s Ginger.

The trio was a chance thing, with Baker apparently having no previous knowledge of Frisell or his music, which makes the musical empathy on the opening track even more impressive. Bill Frisell talks about the trio here (you may already be aware of it) -

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-baker-895942/

I saw Baker playing jazz about a year before he died, but on that occasion his playing leant more towards Africa, especially as he had an African-style percussionist in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Boy, he sure switched bass guitars quickly there.

One of my mixes on Tidal HiFi came back with the Flock Of Seagulls song Wishing. This version versus the one on less fidelity has what sounds like an electric snare drum with reverb matching the peddle drum. It is very tinny and annoying. The tin mellows about midway through the song some, but at the end the other instruments fade out and all that is left is this beat with the tin back. Don't remember it ever sounding like this.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Attachment 105639

I was first introduced to Genesis in 1984 when the I saw the video for "Mama" on MTV. I liked it. Then a friend played Three Sides Live for me and I was hooked. I immediately started spending all my money, which wasn't much since I was 14, buying their earlier albums. The more I heard, the more I liked. Genesis was THE staple music of my teen years. Interestingly, the stuff I really liked was from the early 1970s, when Peter Gabriel was the frontman, a full decade earlier from the first I heard them. Unintentionally, I bought the albums in reverse chronological order so I ended with Trespass. It is a phenomenal album, hinting at the prog rock genius that was to come, and it was really a fun experience hearing, in reverse order, how the band progressed. Until tonight, I had completely forgotten that the end of "Stagnation" includes an instrumental prelude that would go on to become the base to "I Know What I Like" from Selling England by the Pound. They sampled their own song, and that is meta on an entirely different level. After Trespass, I will listen to Nursery Cryme, which may be my favorite studio album. "The Musical Box" is a song I frequently return to. I like the Phil Collins-led Genesis but I like it differently. A Trick of the Tail is probably my favorite studio album with him on vocals; it's just fun to listen to. I never did see them live. They are organizing a European tour for later this summer but I doubt I will go if they come to the U.S. Phil does not have the vocal range he once had, the tour will include back up singers for the first time, and he doesn't drum anymore. Hell, he can barely stand; health issues. His son will do the drumming. I want to see them live, but not like this. I will have to settle for listening to the live albums Genesis Live, Seconds Out and Three Sides Live, and search for concert bootlegs.

Attachment 105640
    Last edited by hayday; Feb 5, 2021 at 12:09 AM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.