Likes Likes:  1,948
Page 246 of 330 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 3293

Thread: What music are you listening to right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Rock music is all but dead as a protest art form. Algiers does some great stuff, but that's about it. If it weren't for Run the Jewels, we wouldn't have anything from Zack De La Rocha.
    As a whole I agree, though Tom Morello seems to be single-handedly trying to keep it alive. And I really like the new RTJ album.

2. Likes hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Just listened to Genesis—Selling England By The Pound. Ancient, of course, but still sounds fresh to me. Unlike stiff like Switched-On Bach, those old prog-rock keyboardists justified new keyboard technologies musically.

I always avoided going back to Genesis because Phil Collins’s later top-40 hits and MTV videos put me off. But when Peter Gabriel was first-mike for Genesis, it hits all my buttons.

I just bought a 10-CD boxed set of Dream Theater out of curiosity.

And I’m setting up a recording capability, but my first tests depressed me.

Rick “needs music to be exciting musically more than lyrically” Denney
    Genesis with Peter Gabriel can be sublime. Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme are fantastic albums. "Super's Ready" is 23:06 minutes of pure eargasm. Try listening to Peter's live version (off Genesis Live) and Phil's live version (off Seconds Out) and see which you prefer; like them both differently. The post-Gabriel late 70s were really, really good, but it all went to hell in the mid 80s. I was a HUGE Genesis fan through 1985. Then Invisible Touch came out in 1986. I liked it at the time but mainly because I was still a huge Genesis fan. The more I listened to it, the less I liked it.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

4. Likes Samanator liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    Genesis with Peter Gabriel can be sublime. Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme are fantastic albums. "Super's Ready" is 23:06 minutes of pure eargasm. Try listening to Peter's live version (off Genesis Live) and Phil's live version (off Seconds Out) and see which you prefer; like them both differently. The post-Gabriel late 70s were really, really good, but it all went to hell in the mid 80s. I was a HUGE Genesis fan through 1985. Then Invisible Touch came out in 1986. I liked it at the time but mainly because I was still a huge Genesis fan. The more I listened to it, the less I liked it.
    Sort-of like Yes with Owner of a Lonely Heart. It was their only Top-40 Number 1, but leaves me uninterested. Prog groups struggled during the 80’s. I was almost exclusively listening to classical music by then.

Well, except for Philip Glass. Just listened to this yesterday:

Have to be alone in the house (or car) for Glass, though.

Rick “awaiting Rick Wakeman’s new album—on its way from England” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

7. Likes hayday liked this post

Justin Townes Earle in the loop tonight.

Usually covers aren't up to originals, but this is pretty damn close. I would imagine Paul Westerberg might approve.

A Replacement version from a gig I managed to attend.

11. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    I do like Christine And The Queens - and I don’t like much that’s contemporary.

13. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Cheesy pics in the vid but the audio is the best I found on YT.
    If you want to see the performances with various audio quality, look for Dezyderata by Piwnica Pod Baranami.
    The poem in English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata

That would be the cabaret group of Piwnica Pod Baranami, I guess.

One of the best concerts I’ve been to was in Piwnica Pod Baranami - Jan ‘Ptaszyn’ Wróblewski, veteran saxophonist.

16. Likes rodia77 liked this post