Likes Likes:  1,948
Page 264 of 330 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274314 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 3293

Thread: What music are you listening to right now?

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    This question of old vinyl is vivid for me at the moment, because I have 500 copies of my new album getting printed as LPs, except they won't be ready until March because the pressing plants are totally slammed. I actually avoided LPs in favor of cassette starting my career, 40 years ago, because LP didn't present my style of music very well. CDs were a blessing. Often I make mixes that play straight through for a full hour without stopping, and I even have a few releases that last 7-8 hours, so you can guess 20 minutes on a side is a bit of a drag. Now as I wait for the long lead time to print plastic, I hope and pray that people still have the fetish in 4 months when they'll be ready. In the meantime I'll have the album out in download and CD in a couple weeks... but this vinyl revival continues to puzzle me.

(Robert "with 300 LPs remaining in my collection after selling 70% of them 25 years ago" aka skywatch.)

Let me know when the vinyl release is ready!

I'm the odd ball that has decided to go all vinyl and I grew up in the era of cassette tapes. I have a modest CD collection, but I didn't even hook a CD player up to my Hi Fi system. It's analog only now with 3 turntables, but only one is set up right now... my plan was to use lockdown time to get the others set up, but it didn't happen. My system was in another house anyway until recently. We were renting a house near the beach and were supposed to be back in June when the owners left for Maine, but due to the Pandemic, the owner's of the house had a guest who lived in another country so she couldn't leave... so my system was stuck there for a while. Got it back recently. I'll pick the best of the 3 and make that my main table and use the others as either a 78 player, or maybe one as a mono only player... I haven't decided.

I am tempted to get a good digital hi res music server/ streamer. One of these days I might give that a go.

2. Likes skywatch liked this post
    I grew up with LPs (nobody called them vinyl), but CDs were a revelation and I gave the LPs away when CD players became affordable. These days, all of my music is in lossless files on a dedicated laptop with an external DAC. I keep two backups. I buy a lot of music on second-hand CDs, rip it to FLAC, and then sell the CDs in batches. The only problem with this is that the artist isn’t getting paid, so I do still buy new CDs of contemporary artists that I want to support.

I understand why some people like the sound of vinyl because it flatters the music, even if it’s not entirely accurate. LPs were nice objects too, but I’d need to devote a room to the storage of the albums I have now. And since I have two homes, I can take all of my music with me in my pocket.

I only ever had cassettes for the car, and they’ve been replaced with a memory stick. I’ve never streamed music or had a personal music player - it’s always been source/amp/stereo speakers - and armchair. I like having access to thousands of albums from my armchair. I only listen to albums, rather than tracks, and that may be a carry-over from the LP era.

4. Likes skywatch liked this post

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Let me know when the vinyl release is ready!
    Sure... mid March it should be I hope. Generally I try to avoid mixing my music career with my presence here on IWL, because it feels inappropriate. I even tend to avoid posting often to IWL music threads like this one. You know where to find my website of course, if you want to sign up for news.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I have 500 copies of my new album getting printed as LPs, except they won't be ready until March because the pressing plants are totally slammed....
    I have had clients buy a vinyl press and others buy a share of one — sort of like a time share in a condo — because the presses are overwhelmed. They’ve been that way for some years.

At least in rock, pop, alternative, etc., my sense is that the market for vinyl is almost entirely young people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes skywatch liked this post
    It's funny isn't it. What once was old (the LP album) is new again.

Will a vinyl that is pressed today lack the hiss/noise/crackle like the original stuff had? Did that noise come from the record itself or the recording equipment of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    It's funny isn't it. What once was old (the LP album) is new again.

Will a vinyl that is pressed today lack the hiss/noise/crackle like the original stuff had? Did that noise come from the record itself or the recording equipment of the time?
    Crackling would be the record itself. Hiss would more likely be from the recording, especially pre-Dolby. Noise, well, depends on what kind and how old the recording is.

Are pressed records today as clean as digital recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Are pressed records today as clean as digital recordings?
    Well, depends what you mean by clean. You can’t get as much dynamic range from an LP as from digital due to the physical limits of the medium—for example, too much bass on an LP and the needle will jump out of its tracks.

Signal to noise ratio will depend on what medium is used to make the master lacquer. In other words, the final stereo mix could be a digital file, or it could be a two inch reel to reel tape.

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I have a tougher time understanding how younger people who grew up listening to mp3s got hooked. Although I would agree vinyl through a decent stereo will sound tons better than an mp3 on $5 earbuds...

Vinyl is still very much a small niche market.

For young people, i.e., people who grew up in the post-LP era, there is some kind “nostalgia” for vinyl.

And I agree that vinyl on a decent stereo sounds way better than commercially mp3’s generally “consumed” via downloads or streamed — no matter what they are played through.