Likes Likes:  1,633
Page 295 of 295 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295
Results 2,941 to 2,944 of 2944

Thread: What music are you listening to right now?

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    What a brilliant period for Holdsworth. I shared a festival billing with this trio in 2007 (with Chad Wackerman.) They played on a different day than I did, so I didn't get to meet Holdsworth. I have heard we was shy and quiet, but a great conversation around a pint.

Iím not sure he ever had a single pint.

Many of those who champion Clapton, Beck, Page, etc, donít realise that Allan Holdsworth was the most talented of the Brit-Pack guitarists (closely followed by John McLaughlin). Holdsworth was in a different genre, of course - the Holdsworth genre.

I saw him twice when he was with Soft Machine, but not after that. I also loved his contributions to Bill Brufordís first albums. It was easy to lose sight of him after he decamped to the USA (for Brits, anyway), and he had no interest in making popular mainstream records. With lesser guitarists living in country mansions, itís a great shame that there had to be a GoFundMe campaign to pay for his funeral.

Playing on the same bill is pretty good, even if you didnít get to meet him. Have you got a poster?

2. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I’m not sure he ever had a single pint. .....
    Playing on the same bill is pretty good, even if you didn’t get to meet him. Have you got a poster?

Well, I should have said a few pints. As for posters, (NEARfest 2007) I think I do have a couple stored away in a box somewhere. Interestingly, looking for images online, Holdsworth's name isn't on it, but a setlist and photos are easy to find. His set was on the Friday night before the main festival, and I wonder if there may have been some contractual oddity that kept it from being an official part of the festival. At the time, I understood that the two partners in the festival were at odds with each other a bit. In fact I think Nearfest only happened another two times after 2007. Here are small images of the poster, Holdsworth with Wackerman and Johnson, and some geeky guy in similar lighting.

Name:  Design-NEARfest-2007cover.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  nf07_holdsworth61_lg.jpg
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  nf07_rich07_lg.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes tribe125, Fantasio liked this post
    Digital Underground - Same Song

Picked this up yesterday (among several others) for Record Store Day... this was secretly recorded by a custodian at a Palo Alto high school. Truly a fantastic performance by Monk and his band.

Last edited by gnuyork; Yesterday at 09:07 PM.

7. Likes skywatch, tribe125 liked this post