Likes Likes:  1,948
Page 257 of 330 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 3293

Thread: What music are you listening to right now?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The Penguin Café Orchestra were excellent. Influential too.
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I discovered them through a film called 'Malcolm', and I can/would recommend 'Preludes Airs & Yodels' as a good introduction.
    Pulled it up, thanks, will listen tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I can see that it requires one to really sit and get into it for a while. Something I am constitutionally unable to do most of the time.

I love Nick Cave, and I can see similarities there, too. But to me this requires the kind of attention you need to listen to Phillip Glass (for example). I used to do that on planes when I had the time and was electronically cut off from the internet and phone calls (those were the days!). I could definitely see doing that with these guys.
    Exactly - and doing what I do, that's how I listen all the time - completely focused on the music with zero distractions.

I first heard this when driving from NYC to Boston one evening on a little independent channel in CT, and after I almost drove off the road blown away as I just heard something that moved me so much, I called the station and spoke with the DJ about it for 45 minutes - with interruptions while he changed things up, of course.

I had to really pull off the highway when he started giving me names of other artists i should check out as he is an underground, alt music DJ in NYC - very informative and lots of great things to listen to based off that convo.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Oct 20, 2020 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    And next up in the needledrop pile ... is Koyanisqaatsi.
    I love Koyanisqaatsi, but can't 'do' it without the associated imagery, it just doesn't work for me. Probably because that's how I first saw/heard it (on VHS ) and that's what my brain is expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    I called the station and spoke with the DJ about it for 45 minutes...
    ... he started giving me names of other artists i should check out as he is an underground, alt music DJ in NYC - very informative and lots of great things to listen to based off that convo.
    Ah, a rare thing: A DJ that knows their stuff and doesn't just like the sound of their own voice.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

3. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I love Koyanisqaatsi, but can't 'do' it without the associated imagery, it just doesn't work for me. Probably because that's how I first saw/heard it (on VHS ) and that's what my brain is expecting.

Ah, a rare thing: A DJ that knows their stuff and doesn't just like the sound of their own voice.
    He is a radio jock on that CT station, but in NYC, it is - was at this point, in clubs only.

It was too windy for the fire pit but I’m still drinking the bourbon while listening to the first Dead show my wife went to; 6/25/1991.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Rick “the whole album—Selling England by the Pound—of course” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

7. Likes Fantasio, hayday liked this post
    LOVE the older, more prog-rock, Genesis. The wheels started to fall off that bus after the Abacab (1982) album, but the shift away from prog-rock started with And Then There Were Three (1978). I like the late 70s to early 80s stuff, but I like it differently from, and less than, the prog-rock Genesis. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974) is a gift from the gods.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. Likes wschofield3, Rdenney liked this post
    I never listened to Genesis in the day—my introduction to them came after Peter Gabriel’s departure and I’m no fan of Phil Collins as a lead singer. And my introduction to Gabriel was even later—Sledgehammer. The earlier Genesis stuff has been a late revelation.

Today’s blast from the past has been Point of Know Return.

Rick “who has that one on original vinyl” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

11. Likes hayday liked this post
    Similar story here except mine started when I was in high school; mid-1980s. So was the first album I knew was Peter Gabriel, but I had preveiously heard the song "Solsbury Hill" without knowing the artist. Abacab was my introduction to Genesis and I then worked backward. I went back to the first album, From Genesis to Revelations, and fell in love with their early stuff. I appreciate it all differently, except for the last two albums because those are unlistenable, but I prefer the early- to mid-1970s, prog-rock era.
    Last edited by hayday; Nov 1, 2020 at 01:09 PM.

Saw another thread's title and this started ringing in my head:

Name:  9133A444-B2B3-4AB8-BE76-69C7CEEE1A7A.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  32.6 KB