Likes Likes:  1,948
Page 245 of 330 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247255295 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 3293

Thread: What music are you listening to right now?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    I'm a year and a half late. Discovered on my 80's nostalgy trip that Mark Hollis has died, such a shame.
    True... but he left us with some of the most sublime music ever recorded, "Spirit of Eden" "Laughing Stock" and his late '90s solo album.

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes Fantasio liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I like this ... it puzzles me a bit because I wonder if trip-hop is now the skipped generation of parent's erstwhile coolness, being about 25 years old now. Definitely Portishead-like, and I figure that many people hearing it may not have been born when Dummy came out. Speaking of hip-hop, did anyone hear the new Public Enemy, State of the Union STFU? One of the best in the early voice that branched out into all those funny things. I think they still got something that most late-comers lack. (Please note, lyrics not for work)

Well, I have no idea what Zoomers are into, but I was definitely alive when Dummy came out. Still one of my favorite albums of all time.

I'd definitely bump that at my old job.

It's a pretty good song (and they reference Run the Jewels in it, love it). The beat is a little simplistic for my tastes, but I love the raw energy. Check out this song from RTJ4.

And this one:

It's pretty charged lyrically (both of them are):
    And every day on the evening news, they feed you fear for free
    And you so numb, you watch the cops choke out a man like me
    Until my voice goes from a shriek to whisper, "I can't breathe"
    And you sit there in the house on couch and watch it on TV
    The most you give's a Twitter rant and call it a tragedy
    But truly the travesty, you've been robbed of your empathy
    Replaced it with apathy, I wish I could magically
    Fast forward the future so then you can face it
    And see how ****ed up it'll be
    I promise I'm honest
    They coming for you the day after they comin' for me

Rock music is all but dead as a protest art form. Algiers does some great stuff, but that's about it. If it weren't for Run the Jewels, we wouldn't have anything from Zack De La Rocha.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes skywatch, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Rock music is all but dead as a protest art form. Algiers does some great stuff, but that's about it. If it weren't for Run the Jewels, we wouldn't have anything from Zack De La Rocha.
    I recently read about a guy on Twitter who said he could no longer be a Rage Against the Machine fan because they were too political. What machine did he think they were raging against? And yes, rock and roll has all but abandoned producing protest music. It's there but you have to look for it. You have to listen to hip hop if you want social justice music. I like the message but I don't really enjoy the presentation of hip hop. I find hip hop to be great poetry set to bad music. There is talent, to be sure, but it's not for me. Time has given me perspective, which has made me appreciate the orginal hip hop trailblazers, though. As I age, I better appreciate the efforts of acts like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Ice T, NWA, and Public Enemy. I don't listen to the music, but the contributions are immeasurable.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. Likes crownpuller, skywatch, litlmn liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I recently read about a guy on Twitter who said he could no longer be a Rage Against the Machine fan because they were too political. What machine did he think they were raging against? And yes, rock and roll has all but abandoned producing protest music. It's there but you have to look for it. You have to listen to hip hop if you want social justice music. I like the message but I don't really enjoy the presentation of hip hop. I find hip hop to be great poetry set to bad music. There is talent, to be sure, but it's not for me. Time has given me perspective, which has made me appreciate the orginal hip hop trailblazers, though. As I age, I better appreciate the efforts of acts like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Ice T, NWA, and Public Enemy. I don't listen to the music, but the contributions are immeasurable.
    Don't forget The Roots, I'm not a huge Hip Hop fan, but I love The Roots -Things Fall Apart - great album.

8. Likes skywatch, hayday, litlmn liked this post

It's taken me about 10 days of near non-stop listening to get to the Europe '72 section of that 355 hour Grateful Dead playlist I mentioned earlier. These are some unbelievable shows with 20, 23, 25, 29 minute versions of songs; great jams. If you ever want an introduction to the Dead, listen to American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, and then lie back and soak in the Europe '72 double album.

This concludes my public service announcement, and you're welcome.
    Last edited by hayday; Jun 28, 2020 at 09:40 PM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Watching Bowie at Glastonbury on TV. Bloody marvellous. First time it’s been seen, I think.

Name:  AB969159-BAA9-4104-BAC9-28304BE9DEE8.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  32.0 KB

Mike Garson on keyboards is interesting.

12. Likes Dynamite_Kid19, wschofield3 liked this post
    Just listened to Genesis—Selling England By The Pound. Ancient, of course, but still sounds fresh to me. Unlike stiff like Switched-On Bach, those old prog-rock keyboardists justified new keyboard technologies musically.

I always avoided going back to Genesis because Phil Collins’s later top-40 hits and MTV videos put me off. But when Peter Gabriel was first-mike for Genesis, it hits all my buttons.

I just bought a 10-CD boxed set of Dream Theater out of curiosity.

And I’m setting up a recording capability, but my first tests depressed me.

Rick “needs music to be exciting musically more than lyrically” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

14. Likes Fantasio, hayday liked this post

Triggered by the sad news of Ennio Morricone's death. It may be a shallow association but to me the Ecstasy of Gold will always mean that it's time to start roaring and going nuts (as Metallica are coming out on the stage any moment now).

This weekend was a lot of Steely Dan including more than a few plays of Aja in it's entirety (high school guilty pleasure)in the mix and what Yahoo music terms Yacht Rock. This morning was a two hour walk/run with Pink Floyd hits. After Roberts talking some during our Zoom calls and other threads about mixing I noticed how the nearly 45 seconds at the beginning of Wish you were here(Song) in headphones is kind of frustrating. I thought the battery in one of the Airpods died.

One additional finding. The operators voice and the end of Young Lust from the Wall sounds exactly like one of my wife's friends on the phone. I played it for her this morning and she agreed.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

17. Likes hayday liked this post