Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wayward Diastar

The Wayward Diastar

After three transatlantic voyages and several trips across most of Canada the much anticipated Diastar is finally in my hot little hands, or mare accurately, on my hot little wrist. Without ado, some pictures.

First clue for Scott, vintage boxes.

Basic Diastar with matching cufflinks

Whoa! Hang on. Something's not right...

Let me start again...

First clue for Scott, vintage boxes.

Basic Diastar with matching cufflinks.

Gosh those look a lot alike. Let's take a closer look.

On the left is the newly arrived piece, a Diastar 1 with uncommon flat crystal and an eight digit reference code. Ref 628.0001.3 means that it is post 1972, but probably pre-1974. Rados eight digit code tells much more than the old 5 digit code. The first three digits tell one what the movement is, 628 means the watch contains an ETA 2783, 0001 means a Diastar 1 and the last digit represents the case material. 1 stands for stainless steel, 2 for gp and 3 for tungsten carbide. After 1986 4 was included for ceramic. The anchor disc is anodized aluminum with a cast anchor. The watch is mounted on a 7 row NSA with foldover expansion clasp.The cufflinks are the shape of a Diastar and are made of tungsten.

On the right, The 50 Years of Diastar LE form 2012, ref 648.0417.3. 648 is an ETA 2836-2, in this case without date. The anchor disc is ruby with a laser/plasma/ water jet cut anchor and the tungsten cufflinks have rotating anchors. The watch is mounted on Rados reproduction of the 3 row NSA with foldover expansion bracelet.

Once again, new arrival:

Not new arrival:

P1014779 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

It seems pretty clear that Rados 50th anniversary was based on the 40ish year old model.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Aug 7, 2015 at 03:04 AM.

I said it before, but I'll say it again: your Rado's collection is amazing. And somehow, you always find a way to make it even more impressive.

3. Likes Henry Krinkle, rfortson, JAGtime liked this post
    Very cool. Does that anchor turn in say a small seconds rotation? Or spin freely?
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I said it before, but I'll say it again: your Rado's collection is amazing. And somehow, you always find a way to make it even more impressive.
    Thank you C. I imagine it is much like you amazing Omega collection; a labour of love that has taken years to build.

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Very cool. Does that anchor turn in say a small seconds rotation? Or spin freely?
    They spin freely. The first Diastar chronograph however has a running seconds sub dial that is the anchor disc.

8. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Great post! That watch should get frequent flyer miles. Thanks so much for the post and history.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

10. Likes Henry Krinkle, JAGtime liked this post
    rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    siiiikkk

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Lucky you Henry! very stunning indeed!

thankfully i live far across the continent... if i live nearby... i would constantly nagging and crying to persuade you to sell me one of your collection!

14. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    They spin freely. The first Diastar chronograph however has a running seconds sub dial that is the anchor disc.
    you have me still hunting for those you know

and as always simple wonderful
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Excellent new addition! I love the fact that they made matching cuff links. Those are very cool on their own!

17. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post