Likes Likes:  73
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucky 14

Lovely collection!

Rado has to be the only watch brand that can make diamonds/jewels look good for a men's watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

2. Likes Henry Krinkle, iyonk liked this post
    Thanks for that wonderful post. I really like the 40th anniversary as well, although that model 55 could get my vote if not for the crystals. The dial itself looks really cool.

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Amazing collection, HK! I love your passion for DiaStars, and I really appreciate you sharing them with us.

~Sherry.
    Thank you sherry. My love of...the quirky (?) extends far beyond Diastars.

6. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Amazing collection of iconic watches Henry.
    I don't know about my DS"0" being better than yours but I'll take the compliment gratefully.
    I must say that I've never noticed the DS55's similarity to the Deluxe before, another example of parts bin raiding, eh?
    I really must get around to doing a SOTC showing my 13 Diastars, 12 Balboas and bunch of Steelers.
    First- Yes you must!

I think the 55 is definitely a case of raiding the bin. It is uncommon enough that when I started collecting there was much debate about it's authenticity. I have still seen fewer than half a dozen models.The screw down caseback gives it away as an authentic model though.

I just now noticed something r4eally interesting. Diastars are known for their faceted crystals yet two thirds of mine have flat sapphire. Other than some of those nice early 80s quartz I don't think there can be too many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Those are amazing Rados!!!

luv them very much and your amazing photographs really enhance the appeal of these legendary beauty... hope i can score one someday! thanks for the inspiration Henry!

Thank you and you are most welcome. If you ever find one and have any questions do not hesitate to ask. I will gladly answer anything I can.

9. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    great photo's stunning as always some wonderful Rado's there
    Thank you very much. Now we need Scott to show his.

11. Likes is that my watch, scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackNomad View Post
    Beautiful collection!
    'Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Thank you very much. Now we need Scott to show his.
    no. thank you

yep have already started to nag him
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

14. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Thanks for posting your collection of Diastars, Henry! For a collection that shares a common name, there is a remarkable variety among the different models.

I had forgotten that the Diastar name wasn't associated with a single case shape. The variety among the "standard" case is surprising. The use of a faceted crystal dramatically changed the look, but the colored cases seem even more extreme. It's hard to imagine the Diastar 62 and 40 share so much in common.

Based on that sampling alone, I am actually surprised that your Diastar collection only has 14 pieces.

As always, a beautiful and informative post. Thanks, Henry!

Thanks Brian. I believe that their are around 100 numbered models, including numerous case styles and variations that I do not have. I could easily have many more but my collection is already much bigger than it should be and I do try to have other brands as well. While I am more than happy to have Diastars as the cornerstone and the heart of my collection, I would not want them to be all of it.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Aug 8, 2015 at 12:43 PM.

16. Likes scottjc, FuzzyB, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    First- Yes you must!

I think the 55 is definitely a case of raiding the bin. It is uncommon enough that when I started collecting there was much debate about it's authenticity. I have still seen fewer than half a dozen models.The screw down caseback gives it away as an authentic model though.

I just now noticed something r4eally interesting. Diastars are known for their faceted crystals yet two thirds of mine have flat sapphire. Other than some of those nice early 80s quartz I don't think there can be too many more.

I can understand why its authenticity was questioned, especially with the number of frankens out there, however I know your collection fairly well and if you have it then it's genuine.
    I used to have a DS1 like your new arrival but I currently only have four Diastar with flat crystals, the "0", 1, silver 13-g and, unsurprisingly, the 82 LCD.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches