Likes Likes:  73
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lucky 14

On the subject of that one watch that makes your life complete, let me just take this opportunity to thank Scott for pointing me at one of those (for me) cursed DS40s. Sixth time was indeed a charm and #024 moved into my collection today.

Also I'm sad to report my life is not complete after all.

2. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SyntaxTerror View Post
    On the subject of that one watch that makes your life complete, let me just take this opportunity to thank Scott for pointing me at one of those (for me) cursed DS40s. Sixth time was indeed a charm and #024 moved into my collection today.

Well, at least congratulations on joining the club with a DS 40. Between here and the old Rado forum, members have now had a couple percent of all the DS 40s.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

4. Likes SyntaxTerror liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

Well, at least congratulations on joining the club with a DS 40. Between here and the old Rado forum, members have now had a couple percent of all the DS 40s.
    Cheers, it's rather like the ultimate Diastar to me. I love everything about them. Perfect watch. Finally mine.
    And of course I was getting REALLY annoyed being seemingly unable to buy one. That last guy who pulled the auction when I had resolved to bid until I needed a second mortgage... he'll never be forgiven. Never.

6. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Cheers, it's rather like the ultimate Diastar to me. I love everything about them. Perfect watch. Finally mine.
    And of course I was getting REALLY annoyed being seemingly unable to buy one. That last guy who pulled the auction when I had resolved to bid until I needed a second mortgage... he'll never be forgiven. Never.
    I know the feeling. My full collection of the NCCs is gold plate largely by accident, not becuase they are more uncommon. I do prefer the 202 in GP to the steel version and that was my first NCC. Finally I only needed the 404 and I kept losing out. For years. I finally decided that the next one that came along I was buying, no matter the condition. So the next oen was near perfect condition, original owner and still had the warranty and box. And I did manage to get it, for a reasonable price even.

Does your DS 40 have the box or any of that? The box is really nice. You know, for a box.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

I know the feeling. My full collection of the NCCs is gold plate largely by accident, not becuase they are more uncommon. I do prefer the 202 in GP to the steel version and that was my first NCC. Finally I only needed the 404 and I kept losing out. For years. I finally decided that the next one that came along I was buying, no matter the condition. So the next oen was near perfect condition, original owner and still had the warranty and box. And I did manage to get it, for a reasonable price even.

Does your DS 40 have the box or any of that? The box is really nice. You know, for a box.
    Yeah, that sounds typical. And infuriating.
    It does make you all the more satisified when the stars finally align, though! We all have our unicorns to hunt, don't we?

As I may or may not have mentioned, I had a bit of a meltdown in the beginning of the pandemic (you know, suddenly having extra time on my hands because the usual activites were cancelled) and became slightly obsessed with hunting for mineral dials. I've managed to get my hands on some - even happened upon that purple monster I didn't even know existed. But a couple still elude me. Now that the DS 40 arrived, I'm down to two unicorns - a tiger eye and a lapis dial. Preferably Magic, but I'm not super picky. At the beginning of this redoubled effort at getting mineral dials, if anyone had told me I'd get my hands on an ammolite before I had a 40, a tiger eye or a lapis diastar, I'd have told them not to be so silly. More on this particular subject will follow tomorrow in the MMFF, but no spoilers. Bizarre things are afoot here on my end.

This 40 did not come with box or papers - just the watch. I'm fine with that, though, as I keep all my Diastars and Balboas together in some (I think) rather nice 10-apiece wooden collector's boxes. They could get lonely, you know? Any original boxes and such always end up getting tucked away in the attic, so I don't mind. I'm just ecstatic to finally have one - it's been a long road.

9. Likes scottjc liked this post

Yay! Congratulations!

11. Likes SyntaxTerror liked this post

Dare I ask what your count is at?
    I don't honestly know at the moment but suspect that it's well over 20 when modern Diastars are included.

Didn't you have a tiger eye 8/1 from me fairly recently...?

EDIT: At further thought I may be somewhere around 30....

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottjc; Oct 29, 2021 at 06:22 AM.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

13. Likes SyntaxTerror liked this post
    Can't join this club, pretty sure I only have 11.

15. Likes scottjc liked this post