Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Watchbuys Roadshow

Watchbuys Roadshow

For those in te U.S. Watchbuys has been putting on a series of roadshows in various cities around the country to give people a chance to see some watches that are not too common in here. Watchbuys specializes in German watches and offers quite a nice selection of brands, including Nomos, Sinn, and now Hanhart. They sell some smaller and more exclusive brands as well, including Benzinger, Dornbluth, Kudoke, and Thomas Ninchritz.

If you haven't been to one of the roadshows, you really owe it to yourself to go. The guys from Watchbuys are very friendly and helpful, the selection of watches they bring is amazing, and where else can you play with so many great watches in a low pressure environment?

Today, I'm wearing a Benzinger that I got as a result of attending the roadshow in Philadelphia last year. I had seen it on the website, but when I got to try it on in person, it really sang to me. It is smaller than the Unitas-based Benzingers and has a cleaner, simpler dial that makes it more versatile, but the view from the back is just as impressive as anything else he makes. I have a new macro lens coming today, and I promise I will finally make good on writing a detailed review of the watch soon.

I'll post some more pictures from the roadshow I went to last year later in this thread. One of the great things about the roadshow is that they let you take as many photos as you want.

Who else has been to one of the roadshows? What were you impressions? Did it change your opinion of any of the brands?

2. Likes Der Amf, geoffbot, is that my watch, mlcor liked this post
    Ryanpatrick just posted a great writeup on one of the roadshows in the Central Forum. You can read all about it here.

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Here's a few pictures from my visit last year.

First the Benzinger Sun and Moon. I took my father-in-law to the Roadshow and he reserved this one on the spot. It uses a 24-hour modified Unitas to display the hours using the two hands.

A few more Benzingers.

The picture below is the model I own.

Here is a Kudoke:

A few Dornbluth pictures. As much as I love subseconds, the center seconds Dornbluth is one is strongly consider.

Nomos. They had the Atlantik Ahoi and Metro on display even before they were available for purchase.

My favorite Sinn on display:

6. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Great pictures, Brian, really looking forward to some macro shots. On that sun and moon, which is really cool, is it showing 2:53 pm, since the "sun" part of the dual hour hand is pointing towards the three?

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Great pictures, Brian, really looking forward to some macro shots. On that sun and moon, which is really cool, is it showing 2:53 pm, since the "sun" part of the dual hour hand is pointing towards the three?
    That's correct. The sun shows the hours from 6am to 6pm and the moon shows the hours from 6pm to 6am. It's a lovely layout. I'll see if I can borrow the watch from him to take some photos for a more complete Benzinger photo essay. He actually has two Benzingers now. The other is a 7750-based chronograph which is not quite as interesting from the movement side.

9. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    That's correct. The sun shows the hours from 6am to 6pm and the moon shows the hours from 6pm to 6am. It's a lovely layout. I'll see if I can borrow the watch from him to take some photos for a more complete Benzinger photo essay. He actually has two Benzingers now. The other is a 7750-based chronograph which is not quite as interesting from the movement side.
    That would be great! It's nice that your father and you share this hobby. That sun and moon watch is breathtaking--but unfortunately so is the price...

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    That would be great! It's nice that your father and you share this hobby. That sun and moon watch is breathtaking--but unfortunately so is the price...
    The price is a drop in the bucket compared to the Benzinger he bought and returned which used a Vacheron movement. He returned it because the hands were impossible to read.

My father-in-law has one of the most impressive collections I've ever seen. Next time we visit him, I will take my camera gear and try to photograph as many of them as I can. His latest addition was the Lange Datograph. That is one of the most beautiful movements I have ever seen.

12. Likes mlcor, scottjc liked this post
    Check out Col Angus's review of the latest Roadshow here. More eye candy to see, including their newest brand, Hanhart.