Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Review; Rolex 116000 Oyster Perpetual

Early Review; Rolex 116000 Oyster Perpetual

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  37.7 KB

So, I've been wearing this for five days now and have a good idea what it's all about. I have been considering a new watch for some time, and have had a huge range on the list. There were Breitling Colts at one end, with their HAQ movements, and JLC Reversos with hand wound movements at the other. In between there was all sorts, from Grand Seikos to Cartier Calibre Divers. And, of course, Rolex.

I'm a sucker for Rolex. The feel, the presence, the quality, the history and the name. I also prefer no date watches in general, in part for their symmetry and because I'm lazy. If it's a mechanical that's run down then setting the time's enough for me! I was really torn between the Explorer and the OP. The Explorer has the better clasp, and all that famouse history. But, it is so similar to my Sub 14060M. The Oyster Pertpetual is different; different hand, different markers and different size. It is a bit dressier, and comes in some amazing colours.

Views: 272
Size:  101.8 KB

First, the obvious point. It's only 36mm! Yes, it is, but you would never know. It wears just "right", and with the new clasp and bracelet (which I'll get to later) it is quite weighty. It could be the perfect one watch for all occasions. Sporty, but elegant. Hefty, but slips under a shirt cuff. Luxurious, but subtle.

The applied markers add real depth to the dial, which is mesmerising. The light dances across the face, changing it from almost black to purple and on towards pink. Simply stunning!

Views: 298
Size:  84.0 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  94.5 KB

The bracelet and class are really, really impressive. I'll be clear here and say I have no issues with Rolex's older hollow end link bracelets and stamped clasps. They have proved themselves long lived and reliable. This is a real step up though. The bracelet feels much more robust than previous models and the clasp is very reassuring, even without the diver flip-lock. The extra weight makes the watch feel much more solid. It's heavier to wear than an older two tone DateJust I have borrowed before.

Views: 319
Size:  28.4 KB

The fit and finish are both impeccable. The combination of brushed and polished steel, the bracelet's fit to the case and the feel of the screw down crown are all spot on. It might be at the bottom of Rolex's range, but it feels like a real quality item. And, of course, it sings. Have you ever held a Rolex to your ear and let it run a full minute? The tune changes as the second hand sweeps around the face....

Any downsides? Well, it's well outside of COSC standards at the moment. I'll let it bed in, but both our other Rolex needed a quick tweak when they were new to run accurately. A bit inconvenient, but no big deal. If it's the same over the weekend I'll drop it off at the Rolex Service Centre in Kent next week to be regulated.

These retail for £3600, so they aren't cheap. But, I do think they offer really good value for money and the full Rolex experience for a relatively low outlay. And of course, being a Rolex, it's always one of the safer watches to sink your cash into long term.

Thanks for reading.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

What a great looking watch. Congrats!

3. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Nice write up and a gorgeous watch. That dial is stunning. Congrats

5. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    When was this model introduced? Within the last five years? There was also an 36mm OP around 40 to 50 years ago:

Don't think they did it in Red Grape though

I think your watch looks much better once on the wrist than when sat on display (helpful that, innit? )

7. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Helpful for emptying wallets!
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

9. Likes Der Amf, popoki nui liked this post
    Great write up and watch. I like that dial color. Different enough to be, well, different, but still classic and dapper.
    Chris:

11. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    And, of course, it sings. Have you ever held a Rolex to your ear and let it run a full minute? The tune changes as the second hand sweeps around the face....

No, but I'll be trying it.

Nice write-up, and a nice watch that manages to be be both off-beat and conservative.

13. Likes Der Amf, OrangeSport liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Views: 302
Size:  37.7 KB

So, I've been wearing this for five days now and have a good idea what it's all about. I have been considering a new watch for some time, and have had a huge range on the list. There were Breitling Colts at one end, with their HAQ movements, and JLC Reversos with hand wound movements at the other. In between there was all sorts, from Grand Seikos to Cartier Calibre Divers. And, of course, Rolex.

I'm a sucker for Rolex. The feel, the presence, the quality, the history and the name. I also prefer no date watches in general, in part for their symmetry and because I'm lazy. If it's a mechanical that's run down then setting the time's enough for me! I was really torn between the Explorer and the OP. The Explorer has the better clasp, and all that famouse history. But, it is so similar to my Sub 14060M. The Oyster Pertpetual is different; different hand, different markers and different size. It is a bit dressier, and comes in some amazing colours.

Views: 272
Size:  101.8 KB

First, the obvious point. It's only 36mm! Yes, it is, but you would never know. It wears just "right", and with the new clasp and bracelet (which I'll get to later) it is quite weighty. It could be the perfect one watch for all occasions. Sporty, but elegant. Hefty, but slips under a shirt cuff. Luxurious, but subtle.

The applied markers add real depth to the dial, which is mesmerising. The light dances across the face, changing it from almost black to purple and on towards pink. Simply stunning!

Views: 298
Size:  84.0 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  94.5 KB

The bracelet and class are really, really impressive. I'll be clear here and say I have no issues with Rolex's older hollow end link bracelets and stamped clasps. They have proved themselves long lived and reliable. This is a real step up though. The bracelet feels much more robust than previous models and the clasp is very reassuring, even without the diver flip-lock. The extra weight makes the watch feel much more solid. It's heavier to wear than an older two tone DateJust I have borrowed before.

Views: 319
Size:  28.4 KB

The fit and finish are both impeccable. The combination of brushed and polished steel, the bracelet's fit to the case and the feel of the screw down crown are all spot on. It might be at the bottom of Rolex's range, but it feels like a real quality item. And, of course, it sings. Have you ever held a Rolex to your ear and let it run a full minute? The tune changes as the second hand sweeps around the face....

Any downsides? Well, it's well outside of COSC standards at the moment. I'll let it bed in, but both our other Rolex needed a quick tweak when they were new to run accurately. A bit inconvenient, but no big deal. If it's the same over the weekend I'll drop it off at the Rolex Service Centre in Kent next week to be regulated.

These retail for £3600, so they aren't cheap. But, I do think they offer really good value for money and the full Rolex experience for a relatively low outlay. And of course, being a Rolex, it's always one of the safer watches to sink your cash into long term.

Thanks for reading.
    not really a Rolex fan but that is stunning dial and case nice review as well thank
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

15. Likes iyonk, OrangeSport liked this post
    Thank for Sharing! ... a true beauty for sure!

17. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Beautiful watch, OrangeSport. Terrific review, too. The Oyster Perpetal is such a classic, and yours just continues this lineage. Congrats!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

19. Likes OrangeSport liked this post