Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying now to be NOS in decades time

Buying now to be NOS in decades time

What might you plausibly buy now, with the intention of leaving it utterly untouched for twenty, thirty, forty years?

Something that's rare already? Something cheap? A model that's probably not going to be treated gently by most it's owners? Something very unfashionable now, but which will seem exotic and enchantingly bizarre to future generations? Something that is expensive now but will be simply unaffordable in 2045? Something perhaps that you know you won't appreciate until you're old and grey but which you fear won't be available then?

How might you charm the future?

bonus points for being sure of losing a lot of money in the process
    Last edited by Der Amf; Aug 11, 2015 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What might you plausibly buy now, with the intention of leaving it untouched for twenty, thirty, forty years?

Something that's rare already? Something cheap? A model that's probably not going to be treated gently by most it's owners? Something very unfashionable now, but which will seem exotic and enchantingly bizarre to future generations? Something that is expensive now but will be simply unaffordable in 2045?
    well don't know about untouched but my thought is to wear the red 51 a few times then put to display swatch seems to have a following so might be worth it

Nothing. Being a speculator is not in my make up.

4. Likes Der Amf, scottjc, Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    well don't know about untouched but my thought is to wear the red 51 a few times then put to display swatch seems to have a following so might be worth it
    No getting pleasure out of the watch other than that of the knowledge of owning it. Sealed in its box, hidden out of sight, a present wrapped up for the future.

For twenty years? Maybe a nice Petite Syrah. Thirty or more years? Don't care, probably won't be around then...

Oh, are we talking about watches? No, I only buy things I want to wear now. Maybe if I were 20 or 30 I'd feel differently.

7. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    A few possibles....

Just a co-incidence these have 3 variations each.

I would suggest the Bullhead because there a relatively few watches this configuration, they are limited numbers and the old bullhead omega is still prized.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

9. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Like those Jay-Jay Lacowl models

11. Likes I-B liked this post
    Um, this is more of a parlour game, than a what are your purchasing intensions over the 12 months?

Idle musing.

I couldn't do it . If I spend my money I want to have it on my wrist. Now if I was rich enough to buy one to wear and one to put away I would wear the white Bullhead and put one of the others in the safe.

What about getting on a Pelagos with the 2 lines of writing not the new one with 4 lines.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    No getting pleasure out of the watch other than that of the knowledge of owning it. Sealed in its box, hidden out of sight, a present wrapped up for the future.
    well more some watches I tire of then others some get lots of arm time some don't it is the nature of the beast

plus my display is on the wall so like a painting more then hidden away some thing to admire on a daily