Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The German Chat Thread

Compared to Swiss watches at least I think the Germans offer good value for money. They seem to achieve what they set out to quite successfully - they are purposeful. Their dive watches are most certainly fit for diving (sometimes at the expense of prettiness, in my opinion, and kudos to them for that).

They innovate - Sinn's technologies - tegimented hardened cases, diapal oil free escapement, 1000 gauss anti magnetic (without shouting about it a la the rolex milgauss), hydro oil filled cases for increased wr, copper sulphate capsules to absorb humidity trapped inside the case. Damasko are in the same vein.

Nomos make their own hairaprings now which very few manufacturers can claim. Moser do too and whilst they're Swiss I believe they have some German roots (and certainly some German design ethics).

Then there's A Lange Sohne whose lineup I would take over PP, AP or VC in a heartbeat - their chronograph movement has to be the best decorated I've ever seen. Glashutte original is like a slightly more affordable ALS.

The public know that Swiss watches are best, but they're wrong! Debatable, I'm sure, but wearing something from the motherland on your wrist gives you a slight smug feeling that only you, and people here, can really appreciate it.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes meijlinder, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Compared to Swiss watches at least I think the Germans offer good value for money. They seem to achieve what they set out to quite successfully - they are purposeful.
    I think this perfectly sums up why I started looking at German watches. The first German brand I really fell for was Stowa. They make such a good watch for a decent price that it spoiled most of the Swiss brands for me. The level of finishing in their cases and dials is remarkable for what they charge. I have now owned 8(?) Stowas and plan to buy at least one or two more for the permanent collection. The 1938 Chronograph was gorgeous and the dial was easily just as nice as that of the IWC Portuguese.

They innovate - Sinn's technologies - tegimented hardened cases, diapal oil free escapement, 1000 gauss anti magnetic (without shouting about it a la the rolex milgauss), hydro oil filled cases for increased wr, copper sulphate capsules to absorb humidity trapped inside the case. Damasko are in the same vein.

Nomos make their own hairaprings now which very few manufacturers can claim. Moser do too and whilst they're Swiss I believe they have some German roots (and certainly some German design ethics).
    The technology is also quite impressive, especially given the price. Look at what Omega charges for the Speedy Pro and think of how the prices have climbed even though everything about it has stayed essentially the same. Then you have Nomos who has pretty much maintained their prices even after adding significant investments into their in-house movements.

Sinn and Damasko are also putting out incredible technology and charging a fraction of the prices their Swiss counterparts charge. Bremont uses a case hardening process and charges at least three times as much.

Then there's A Lange Sohne whose lineup I would take over PP, AP or VC in a heartbeat - their chronograph movement has to be the best decorated I've ever seen. Glashutte original is like a slightly more affordable ALS.

The public know that Swiss watches are best, but they're wrong! Debatable, I'm sure, but wearing something from the motherland on your wrist gives you a slight smug feeling that only you, and people here, can really appreciate it.
    German designs resonate well with me. I would gladly wear just about any watch in the Lange line-up, but I'd be hard pressed to pick more than a couple Pateks that I like or would even want to wear. The same goes for JLC. As much as I appreciate their technological prowess and movement making skills, most of their models leave me feeling cold. For the same price, GO adds a lot of charm and some incredible movement decoration.

And you didn't even mention some of the smaller makers. From the boutiques, such as UTS and H2O, to the higher end makers like Moritz Grossman, the consistency from top to bottom is amazing.

I think what much of it comes down to is that German watchmakers are selling solidly made watches while many Swiss brands are sitting on their Swiss laurels.

Yeah on micro brands I had a Dievas diver (Swiss movement), flicker case I believe - the list of tech sounded good for the 800 quid I paid

"Scratch resistant Plasma treated micro-blasted aerospace grade titanium."

Don't think they modified the moment, but neither do TAG, at 3 times the price, and with a normal SS case. Muhle glashutte do though - and I don't mean putting a new rotor on it - woodpecker neck regulator, and maybe some others, I'm not sure.

flicker case I believe .
    Ahhhhh so...Japanese then ?

6. Likes geoffbot liked this post

I meant "fricker", for those not in the know.

And I now have another German watch incoming.

For those German fans out there, is your attraction to German watches in general or to a German brand?

This will be my 9th watch from this particular brand and I have enjoyed each and every one. Of my German watches, I have certainly had more from that brand than any other, but I would say I'm generally more a fan of German watches than any particular brand. It just so happens that the brand which I have owned the most falls nicely within my budget and the watches I have owned fulfilled a particular desire.

What you got coming in?

What you got coming in?
    A certain Stowa that was listed for sale on this forum.

11. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Cheeky! Glad to see the SC is working.

Came across this ladies Nivrel. 35mm, only 9mm thick. ETA 2836.

520 euros excluding sales tax. Think I've understood correctly that hands and indices are all blued.

http://www.watchsource.de/armbanduhr...-indexe/a-137/
    Last edited by Der Amf; Oct 29, 2015 at 09:15 AM.