Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Prospex Marinemaster Professional 1000m Hi-Beat Limited Edition (SBEX001)

Seiko Prospex Marinemaster Professional 1000m Hi-Beat Limited Edition (SBEX001)

Topper Fine Jewelers is proudly now an authorized dealer for Grand Seiko, Astron, and the Prospex Master Series. As we await our stock order of Prospex Watches, which should be here any day, we offer this review and photos of our first Prospex sale.

The Marinemaster Professional 1000m Hi-Beat Limited Edition (SBEX001) commemorates the 50th anniversary of Seiko dive watches. In fact, this 700-piece limited edition takes many design cues from Seiko's first hi-beat 300m diver from back in 1968. Special thanks to Paul P. for allowing us to photograph his watch before he received it.The "Hi-Beat" term refers to the movement's beat rate of 36,000 VPH (vibrations per hour), which is 5 Hertz (Hz) or 10 oscillations per second. Topper customers are familiar with another watch that beats at 36,000 VPH, the Zenith El Primero Chronograph. The most tangible benefit of the higher beat rate is that the second hand moves considerably smoother than do those on watches at the slower, more traditional speed of 28,800 vph or 4 Hz. While more beats theoretically means more precision, the manufacturer does not promise as great an accuracy as the COSC minus four to plus six seconds per day standard. Still, the rate is historically significant. Just as part of the joy of owning a Zenith El Primero is its lineage to the first automatic chronograph in 1969, the SBEX001 runs at the same movement speed used in Seiko's first Hi-Beat diver in 1968. As this watch features a solid titanium monobloc case accessible only through the crystal, it goes without saying most owners will never see the deeply encased 8L55 movement. For Hi-Beat fans who want to see the movement, they should look to Grand Seiko models such as the SBGH037 which features the more decorated 9S85 movement. Impressively, the Seiko Hi-Beat movement still manages to provide 55 hours of power reserve even at the accelerated rate.

You would expect a watch with 1000m of water resistance to be a tool watch, but the simple designation of "tool watch" seems to be selling it short. This isn't just because the watch features a 1000m of water resistance, but because of the professional grade touches. The clasp features easy-to-move micro adjustments, as well as, a sliding wetsuit extension. Like the original from 1968, the screw-down crown is at the more protected four o'clock position. Instead of featuring minute gradients for just the first fifteen minutes on the bezel, the anodized diver scale encompasses the entire bezel with them. Turning the bezel feels heavy, solid, and even. Magnetic resistance is 16,000 A/m, and the lume is a proprietary blend they call Lumibright, which is extremely vivid and long-lasting.

How does it wear? It's a beast, but surprisingly light in weight. The aforementioned titanium case and lugs flare out making the watch look even larger than its massive 49mm diameter and 19.7mm of height would indicate. Although it looks like it should weigh over 300 grams, it actually comes in around 200 grams with the titanium bracelet. We didn't try it with the black extra-strength silicon strap that also comes standard because we didn't want to push our luck with new owner, Paul. However, we expect it would probably lighten the weight by an additional fifty grams. Its relatively short lugs also make it more wearable than its size would suggest.

The SBEX001 is limited to 700 pieces and is priced at $6,200.

The Gold applied indices and hands of the SBEX001.

Hex screws on the six o'clock side of the bracelet.

The side profile of the SBEX001.

The caseback of the limited edition diver. This one is 336/700.

The four micro adjustments of the fold over clasp.

The ratcheting adjustable wetsuit extension in the "in" position.

The ratcheting diver's extension in the "out" position.

A look at the impressive "Lumibright" of the SBEX001.

Last edited by robattopper; Aug 13, 2015 at 08:17 PM.

2. Likes tribe125, iyonk, synequano liked this post
    Really want to like this watch but damn Seiko, you're making it far too difficult.

1) 48mm wide and 20mm thick - really Seiko ?

2) $6000 and the movement (as great as it is) is completely unadjusted. For the money I expect better. Even a standard grade ETA is adjusted in 2 positions.

3) $6000 and still using the same thin stamped clasp as much much cheaper models

4. Likes -JP, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Really want to like this watch but damn Seiko, you're making it far too difficult.

1) 48mm wide and 20mm thick - really Seiko ?

2) $6000 and the movement (as great as it is) is completely unadjusted. For the money I expect better. Even a standard grade ETA is adjusted in 2 positions.

3) $6000 and still using the same thin stamped clasp as much much cheaper models
    Man... at $6000 that's firmly out of my wheelhouse. And not really a 'tool watch' for anyone but the fabulously wealth - who could afford to lose or destroy it. Still, for the serious Seiko fan, given the limited edition nature of it - and the obviously cool combination of high-beat movement and uber-dive watch design - I can see why people would buy it.

And yeah... 48mm x 20mm is stupid big for my wrist.

6. Likes -JP, ljb187 liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Looks very cool but for that coin you could buy a LE MM300 (SDBX012) to satisfy the need for a vintage look:

And pick up a SD Marinemaster (SBDB001)for when you want cutting edge tech:

And you'd still have a couple grand left in your pocket when you were done. But I suppose when viewed through the lens of some of the ridiculous prices for LE watches from the big Swiss brands, this isn't too crazy.

8. Likes -JP, iyonk, synequano liked this post
    They should of had the GS Elves make this model and make it a Grand Seiko Diver High Beat....for that much $ that would top it off nicely with a little GS extra special lovin...

10. Likes Adi4 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Not to my taste. A regular old MM300 has a vintage enough feeling for me and is a much more reasonable price and size, and much more attractive to boot.

I love that one since Seiko release.
    Especially the nice big and chunky case. Perfect size for me.

Perfectly designed by Seiko.

I have to speak with my backer.
    Regards Phil
    Moderator German Watches & Dive Watches

13. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    At 20mm tall it is now only useful on a dive, and now it has to be accurate for only an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    At 20mm tall it is now only useful on a dive, and now it has to be accurate for only an hour or two.
    Believe me, the 20mm height is no problem during a dive.

There are other equipment on the wrist/arm which is bulkier than this watch.
    Regards Phil
    Moderator German Watches & Dive Watches

Great post and pictures. Not sure if it is worth that price given the 300MM looks very similar.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx