Likes Likes:  5

Thread: A Little American Ingenuity(?) in a German Watch

A Little American Ingenuity(?) in a German Watch

Meistersinger is known for their one-handed watches, but this one might be a bit too much. They actually took a design by Benjamin Franklin and converted it into a watch. This one is a bit tricky since you have to have a rough idea of the time (within a 4-hour window) to make any sense of the dial. The movement has been modified such that the single hand goes around the dial once every four hours. It increases the accuracy of being able to read a one-handed watch, but does sacrifice a bit in the ability to comprehend the time.

What would have really been cool is if they had a hand that shortened as it went around the dial (something like the Parmigiani Ovale, which has an oval dial and hands that shrink or expand depending on the position within the oval).

Name:  MeisterSinger-Benjamin-Franklin-Watch-2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  66.9 KB
    (Picture from ablogtowatch)

2. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    love this it's just so far out there is cool think I would and to be honest how we are made we tend to sense the time if you say to some one with out a watch what time is it most are not that far off my mom hardly wear's one but she is normal with in 15 minutes or so of the time so yeah just love the difference about it

4. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Hmmm.....
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Brilliant!
    Love the idea, as you generally know which four hours you're in (obvs not quite so useful for we shiftworkers, people in new timezones and when you've just woken up)
    Like Is's mom I can guesstimate the time fairly well without a watch (less so on days like today when I can barely see the end of the street in rain grr)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

7. Likes is that my watch, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Brilliant!
    Love the idea, as you generally know which four hours you're in (obvs not quite so useful for we shiftworkers, people in new timezones and when you've just woken up)
    Like Is's mom I can guesstimate the time fairly well without a watch (less so on days like today when I can barely see the end of the street in rain grr)
    Despite my love of watches, I rarely look at my watch to tell the time. I roughly have a good sense of what time it is through the day and don't even bother to use an alarm clock to wake up in the morning. A watch like this or any other one hander would probably work well for me.

I still think it would be even better with a telescoping hand.

9. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    It's visually quite beautiful, but I might have trouble reading it after that third glass of wine.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.