Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The highest quality spring bars?

The highest quality spring bars?

When I got my Habring2, the seller forgot to pack both springbars, so I was left with one and had to go down to the store to buy a new pair. But surprisingly, no one here had that springbar in stock. Everyone seemed to have the standard 18mm spring bar.

The bottom one was included with the Habring2, the top one is generic. You can see the Habring2 springbar has different shaped and slightly longer ends.

A bit of searching online and I found them on Ofrei - http://www.ofrei.com/page1229.html. Ofrei calls them the "highest quality springbars in the world", which I found to be interesting.

What makes them so much better than the generic spring bars? The design? Or the materials? Both?

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    seiko ones would do no?
    especially them fat ones

Blog Entries
    In my experience the one you show pictured at the bottom is more generic, with only one ridge on it (gripping ring? not sure the official name.) I much prefer the ones like that on the top with two ridges, as they offer much better purchase with the springboard tool or jeweler's screwdriver. One problem with Seiko's extra fat sprinbars is that they only fit straps with wider diameter end loops. I doubt that Offrei's are significantly better than anyone else. I bought a bunch from International Watchman a few years ago and those have been doing fine for me, at 1/4 Offrei's price (which we must admit... these aren't expensive parts to start with - be we all understand how a failure of one could be a serious hazard!)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Blog Entries
    Considering I've never had a springbar failure, I can't say what's better than another. The ones on the bottom of your picture feel or seem flimsier, but I have no evidence to back that up. Fat bars are obviously the ones that feel the most secure, but again, no evidence.

Except my curved springbars, all my backup bars are from thewatchprince.com. I've yet to have an issue.

http://www.thewatchprince.com/Tools-...ies_c_467.html

They're the double ridge type, which again seem​ more secure/easier to replace/remove.

To be honest, I hardly consider the quality of springbars. If they come from a reputable source, I assume they're OK. Likewise, if they come with a decent quality strap, I assume they're OK.

I'm sure I must have removed originally supplied springbars when changing straps, with the result that they're now in a box with other unknown springbars.

As long as they're not the ones with no shoulders which are fine for watches with drilled lugs but CERTAINLY NOT for solid lugs as you can like never get them out and have to cut the strap.

The pratt that invented them should be shot

7. Likes Der Amf, Strange liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    As long as they're not the ones with no shoulders which are fine for watches with drilled lugs but CERTAINLY NOT for solid lugs as you can like never get them out and have to cut the strap.

The pratt that invented them should be shot

*looks at the watch on his wrist with its never-to-be-removed strap*

*nods sadly*

9. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Haha! Really?!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Haha! Really?!
    Its a very nice strap, and suits the watch.....

Previous time I came across these, I just unsewed the strap and ripped the bars off with a pair of pliars

By definition of the main job that a spring bar has to do (keep the watch on its strap) no spring bar is "high quality". A spring bar is compromise between solidity and accessibility.