Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance periods--recommendations from one of the "big three"

Maintenance periods--recommendations from one of the "big three"

So, I was leafing through the booklet from my Audemars Piguet, and they seemed quite forthright about maintenance intervals. Right in their warranty book, they recommend an initial "water-resistance service" (basically cleaning and replacing seals if necessary) within the first two years. This is free for registered owners. But after that, they say the recommended interval is 3-6 years (with an average of four) for extra-thin and ladies' mechanical watches, 3-8 years (with an average of 6) for traditional manual/automatic watches like Royal Oaks, and 3-5 years (with an average of four) for grand complications watches like minute repeaters.

These seem like very reasonable, real-world numbers to me. And I'll bet if you went to the AD, they might well give you shorter ones. AP also recommends winding a watch at least once per month, even if you're not wearing it regularly, to keep lubrication in order. Since my watch has a "Royal Oak" type movement, looks like I could stretch 6-8 years between services, given that mine doesn't get worn on a daily basis. Probably will only need to do it twice before I'll be too old to care.

I thought it was interesting that one of the "big three" had such matter-of-fact, practical recommendations.

2. Likes Ryan, Der Amf, FuzzyB, CFR, uchinanchu liked this post
    It is nice to see that they break it down according to the complexity/fragility of the movement, too, instead of lumping everything under the 3-5 year service schedule.

Now that Rolex is extending their recommended service schedule it will be interesting to see if other brands follow suit.

Seems quite reasonable to me.

I never did it before but after a lot of research I think winding an auto occasionaly is not that bad of an idea.

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by -JP View Post
    winding an auto occasionaly is not that bad of an idea.
    That was what my watchmaker used to say, And that's exactly what I do.
    Last edited by CFR; Aug 17, 2015 at 06:30 PM.

I probably only have one mechanical watch that I don't wear at least once a month, and that would be my father's old Hamilton, which is fragile, and therefore doesn't get worn at all. So once a month or so, I will wind it up and let it run (I did have it serviced a few years back). Why do I do that, even though I'll never wear it? Dunno, it just feels right that it should be able to keep running.

9. Likes Der Amf, scottjc, OrangeSport liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I probably only have one mechanical watch that I don't wear at least once a month, and that would be my father's old Hamilton, which is fragile, and therefore doesn't get worn at all. So once a month or so, I will wind it up and let it run (I did have it serviced a few years back). Why do I do that, even though I'll never wear it? Dunno, it just feels right that it should be able to keep running.
    When I was looking through companies' advice on WR I saw another company recommending that watches be wound once a month. I think I screengrabbed it (intending to find the relevent thread from a while back) let me see.....

......here we are.

Unfortunately can't identify the company. I think I was either IWC or GO
    Last edited by Der Amf; Aug 17, 2015 at 06:39 PM.

11. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Excuse me for a moment. I have a couple watches to wind.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

13. Likes mlcor, Der Amf, CFR, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    When I was looking through companies' advice on WR I saw another company recommending that watches be wound once a month. I think I screengrabbed it (intending to find the relevent thread from a while back) let me see.....

......here we are.

Unfortunately can't identify the company. I think I was either IWC or GO
    IWC
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My usual watchmaker tells me very similar advice. He says an occasional winding helps keep the oils distributed, and it's not necessary to service more than every 6-8 years. He seems to think, even less often is OK for rarely worn watches. I have another more expensive watchmaker who is currently servicing a vintage Longines I found, who seems to feel a bit differently about the really old watches. I showed him my grandfather's 1936 Hamilton, and mentioned it has been a long while since service (like, 30 years perhaps) and I I have worn it on rare special occasions. He advised not to wind a watch like that regularly, but either to let it sit without using nor winding it, or to have it serviced. Needless to say, he would probably charge $200 or more for the service, so I expect I will just let it sit quietly until it's time to pass it on to a niece or nephew.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.