Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What attracts you to a high end watch?

Oh yes.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

The look 1st & foremost for me, then Brand & History. I myself don't own any high end pieces but I sure want this 1

by movet22

People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

3. Likes geoffbot, movet22 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    It's funny, because there's very little for me.

What I identify with high end watches most are dress watches. I don't particularly care for them. No lume. Precious metals. Precious metals!? They do nothing for me. Movement finishing. I just don't care that much. I like an exhibition back as much as the next guy, but I don't particularly care whether it's pretty or not. All movements look good to me. Overly finished movements look too done up; like I'm being sold something. Like a fluffy Downton Abbey style dress. Not for me.

History is nice, but plenty of brands have history. Finishing is important, but there's probably a level of diminishing returns. I would probably have a hard time telling a $5,000 watch from a $50,000 one on finishing. Maybe my hands and eyes aren't sensitive enough (I get this with headphones; beyond a certain audio quality, my ears aren't good enough to notice the difference), but I don't see it.

Oh, and a ton of high end watches have moonphases. A moonphase? Why do I care about the damn moon? It's ridiculous.

Tell time, do it well, do it reliably, do it durably, and do it while looking good. That's all I ask. I don't care what time it is on the moon.

There are rare occasions that high end watches do catch my eye. If they do, I'll let you know.

5. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    I look for a fit and finish quality with excellent metal workmanship and perfect tolerances, Brand does not matter to me, build quality rep is more important.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx