Likes Likes:  79
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My What-I-Am-Wearing, one-at-a-time, slow-burn SOTC

My What-I-Am-Wearing, one-at-a-time, slow-burn SOTC

Something I really love is a nicely done SOTC post....but there's often a problem: either the watches come so thick and fast I end up scrolling too fast, or the poster gives a good wodge of text (and four photos) for each watch and reading it becomes a marathon.

I would love to see more SOTCs presented on a One by One basis, one watch a day added to the thread. Since that's what I want to see, I figure I need to be brave and set an example. On the the public forum Back In The Old Country the traffic was so high that threads of this type sometimes got a bit lost. Hopefully here they would neither get lost nor clog the place up.

One benefit of my doing this: there's nothing expensive in my small-ish collection and much that is unashamedly dirt cheap (everything in my collection, though, has earnt its place, and I wear with love and pride) and so between my collection and, say, Mikey's fistfuls of Rolexes the field is stretched nice and wide with scope for virtually any collection.

First entry will be once I've had a cuppa *gasps*

Today is a watch I've only had a couple of months, made by the Beijing Watch Company. See this thread for more Beijings.

Recognising that Beijing is clearly the leading Chinese maker, and that their quality to price ratio is insanely high, I had been wanting to get one for a while. Unfortunately I found a too many of their models a little bit overdecorated for my taste. Pleasingly, it turned out that the one I wanted most was also one of their cheapest models: the ZunGu, which is only $200. Their movements are in-house and some of them can be very beautiful, especially the SB18 handwind found in their BeiHai, which costs $450. This movement is decorated pleasingly, but looks more roughly cut. Its running at +10s/d, and I get no wobble from the unidirectional rotor

The case is 40mm, and the watch comes on a rather singular bracelet which I took off immediately. Despite having a display back, a domed crystal and an automatic movement, the watch is still only 10mm thick. The curved lugs help the watch sit very snugly. This is a relatively big watch for me, giving a chunkier sensation than many of my other watches

Name:  zg41.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  zg2.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  zg22.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  zg24.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  zg11.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  66.9 KB

I think I should pay more attention to this brand. Very nice 50s/ 60s style. Like it!
    Last edited by CFR; Nov 20, 2014 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful movement.

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Beautiful movement.
    Given that Beijing and Seagull can put pretty stripes all over all of their movements, some of the plain ones you see in Orient / Miyota etc are a bit disappointing. Oh wellllll.

Wow, that is nice. Thx for info/pics!

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    SOTC?

Syracuse Obedience Training Club?

10. Likes geoffbot, Henry Krinkle, I-B liked this post
    State Of The Collection

When the feeling that one's collection is stable collides with the knowledge that developments are inevitable. A taking stock.

I think one of the tthings that attracted me to the Beijing was its resemblance to what I'm wearing today, a 1961 Seiko 66-9990 Sportsman.

This was the first vintage watch I bought. It was next to nothing on ebay. It ran, except when it didn't. The crystal was cracked, the case battered, the dial chipped. The seller must have thought they had fleeced me. I got it serviced with a new crystal, but the case is still shabby and the dial still scarred, and 32mm is definitely too small for my tastes....but I love it. The sunburst dial, the tapered dauphine hands, the slender second hand, the delicate indices..... If this exact design existed, 3mm larger, I would happily spend plenty of money on it (and like a cad forget all about this one, no doubt)

It doesn't get a lot of wear, firstly because of the size and secondly because I think the chips in the dial are crumbling away, dirtying the rest.

But on dark winter evenings, sat quietly at home with a book and a glass of something, in the soft, low lighting the dial becomes utterly charming.

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-56-42_1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-57-22_1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-57-08_1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-57-52_1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  73.1 KB

My watchmaker said the 66 manual movement was in very good condition. He says it will outlive both of us. I think before buying someone advised me that they were built like DC3s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think one of the tthings that attracted me to the Beijing was its resemblance to what I'm wearing today, a 1961 Seiko 66-9990 Sportsman.

This was the first vintage watch I bought. It was next to nothing on ebay. It ran, except when it didn't. The crystal was cracked, the case battered, the dial chipped. The seller must have thought they had fleeced me. I got it serviced with a new crystal, but the case is still shabby and the dial still scarred, and 32mm is definitely too small for my tastes....but I love it. The sunburst dial, the tapered dauphine hands, the slender second hand, the delicate indices..... If this exact design existed, 3mm larger, I would happily spend plenty of money on it (and like a cad forget all about this one, no doubt)

It doesn't get a lot of wear, firstly because of the size and secondly because I think the chips in the dial are crumbling away, dirtying the rest.

But on dark winter evenings, sat quietly at home with a book and a glass of something, in the soft, low lighting the dial becomes utterly charming.

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-56-42_1.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-57-22_1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-57-08_1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-11-21-09-57-52_1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  73.1 KB

My watchmaker said the 66 manual movement was in very good condition. He says it will outlive both of us. I think before buying someone advised me that they were built like DC3s
    Amazing aren't they? Very nice seiko. Can't wait to see what else you have!

14. Likes Der Amf liked this post