Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nomos - The Great Universal Encyclopaedia

Nomos - The Great Universal Encyclopaedia

What a fabulous book. Two days ago I didn't know it existed and now I have it in my hands, courtesy of DHL. It was published in 2006 and the German edition is sold out. Nomos still has some copies of the English edition and it can be ordered through their website.

I've never seen anything like it. There's the horological stuff you might expect, and insights into the Glashütte watch world, but there are delightfully random entries about extinct animals in Saxony, sex in Glashütte, the Nomos vehicle fleet, nutrition for watchmakers and recipes for 'Dead Grandma'. There's a detailed Glashütte map folded into the back cover.

It's written with considerable panache and humour and it's an absolute joy. I've only flicked through it so far, but I'll be devouring every page in the coming days. Naturally, it came with a Nomos catalogue full of lovely, lovely things. Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour? The Nomos Encyclopaedia is smart, sophisticated and frequently very funny. Get it while you can.

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Things...clopaedia.html

2. Likes OhDark30, FuzzyB, geoffbot, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like fun. If you have read one of the manuals that comes with a Nomos watch, you know they have a sense of humor.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    That sounds like fun. If you have read one of the manuals that comes with a Nomos watch, you know they have a sense of humor.
    Even their website contains bits of dry wit (and some outright guffaws) here and there.

Interesting. I wish they showed pics of a few interior photos.

Nomos do a wonderful job of making lovely stuff that isn't watches (as well as lovely watches). Their advent calendar is always a delight, even if Ive never won anything.
    I was amazed when I ordered a strap from them (and a medium one at that) and it arrived in a box the size of a telephone directory stuffed with postcards and a beautiful brochure.

7. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Interesting. I wish they showed pics of a few interior photos.

As I ran through the pages with my thumb, the first picture I saw was of the Nomos Land Rover, the second the Nomos staircase, and the third a woolly rhino.

'Excellent', I thought.

9. Likes whatmeworry, FuzzyB liked this post
    I've wanted to order that every time I wander around on Nomos' website but never got around to it. I do have a lovely collection of Nomos pens, pencils and bookmarks.

Perhaps you can write up a little review over on the German Forum for posterity's sake. Nomos is one of my favorite brands, so a few interesting factoids about the brand would most certainly be welcome.

Cool link.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Perhaps you can write up a little review over on the German Forum for posterity's sake. Nomos is one of my favorite brands, so a few interesting factoids about the brand would most certainly be welcome.

Number of secret couples at the time of going to press

Number of steps of the longest staircase at Nomos Glashütte
    With 19 steps, the staircase in the train station between the first floor and the top floor is the longest at Nomos Glashütte.

Schneeblind (Snow-blind)
    A Tangente to ward off reality and the greyness of winter, with a pale mauve dial and typography in red and gold.

I had thought of lifting a few things from the book but I don't want to deprive them of book sales. I might still do something, but I'm not sure.

13. Likes whatmeworry, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    What a fabulous book. Two days ago I didn't know it existed and now I have it in my hands, courtesy of DHL. It was published in 2006 and the German edition is sold out. Nomos still has some copies of the English edition and it can be ordered through their website.

I've never seen anything like it. There's the horological stuff you might expect, and insights into the Glashütte watch world, but there are delightfully random entries about extinct animals in Saxony, sex in Glashütte, the Nomos vehicle fleet, nutrition for watchmakers and recipes for 'Dead Grandma'. There's a detailed Glashütte map folded into the back cover.

It's written with considerable panache and humour and it's an absolute joy. I've only flicked through it so far, but I'll be devouring every page in the coming days. Naturally, it came with a Nomos catalogue full of lovely, lovely things. Who says the Germans don't have a sense of humour? The Nomos Encyclopaedia is smart, sophisticated and frequently very funny. Get it while you can.

http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Things...clopaedia.html
    Any idea if there are any German versions available anywhere? Used would be OK.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.