Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I …. Must….. Resist……

I …. Must….. Resist……

“Resistance is futile…..” sounds familiar?

Argh….I am hopeless, I gave into yet another temptation….I need help...

So, what have I added?

Name:  paper wrapper.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  128.0 KB

Any guesses…???

Yes, it’s (another) JR.

Name:  Casing.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  169.9 KB

Some of you may recall that I did place an order for this:

Name:  JR white.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  42.5 KB

I like everything about this watch, except for its size, and this is only because I am too used to bigger watches. I find this a tad too small to my liking. My wife seems to fancy it though, so off it goes into her watch box.

Here is a comparison of the JR with my Revue Thommen (which I hardly wear nowadays) and her Rolex.

Name:  Trio.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  49.0 KB

I continued browsing Ashford website, looking for the one that will appeal. After looking at each of them, I shortlisted a couple, and finally zeroed down to 2 pieces.

At this point, the rational part of me starts to question –

Do I need another watch?

I just gotten a Bremont in June, and the Terrascope in July (ok, this doesn’t belong to me now). Am I nuts?

Will I suffer from buyer’s remorse, as I know the watch will be big on my wrist?

Will the design of either of this piece appeal to me for a long time – as I don't have the tendency of flipping?

So I hesitated. I told myself to hold off for another 3 weeks. I wanted to think things through, and if I am convinced by then, I will proceed. On one condition, though……I am not going to pay more than what has been offered during this promotional period.

So I waited.

During these two weeks, I received at least 2 emails from Ashford, reminding me about the ongoing clearance sale (it’s still on going, by the way). And about a week ago, MarkO, in the thread about “Ashford now selling JR watches”, reminded (me) again that the sale is still on going, though on limited pieces…..

That does it!!! (Thanks, MarkO!!!) I rationally answered all the questions, just to justify my irrational …no I meant emotional needs!! And the best part, I got input from my wife which to pick.

So, here it is.

Name:  JR in box.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  Jr in box 2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  JR Wrist.jpg
Size:  79.9 KB

JP photos are much better, displaying the great finishing - casing and dial.

Name:  JR Close up.jpg
Size:  56.4 KB

My choice is partly influenced by JP’s purchase. My final choices came down to either the silver or the copper dial. The copper dial looks stunning in all his photos. My only doubt – can it pair with a black strap? I tried to visualize the combination, but failed miserably. With the silver dial, there are pieces shown on Ashford website with a black, brown and a cognac cream. So it seems I may have more options if strap change is needed. Upon receiving this piece over the weekend, I am happy with my choice.

Thanks for reading….and sorry for the long post.

Looks like a crapwatch! I will pay shipment if you send it to me, i need some spareparts for when my class starts in september. Glad i could help you

3. Likes Nutty28, movet22, popoki nui, Nokie liked this post
    Welcome to the club! Glad you got the other dial color choice as these 1681s are rare birds now we have two on IWL in different colors. For black straps it's going to look great! I hope you will enjoy yours a much as I been enjoying mine!

5. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    Looks like a crapwatch! I will pay shipment if you send it to me, i need some spareparts for when my class starts in september. Glad i could help you
    Well, if this JR doesn't live up to expectations, who knows.....maybe it can be put to better use...

Although, I must say that its accuracy as been spot on. It gained only 2 sec after 3 days - Note - I am only timing it against my iPhone, so it is not the most accurate.... I lay the watch flat, and just wind it a couple of times every morning for the past 3 mornings. 2 sec. Pretty impressive.

7. Likes I-B, -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by -JP View Post
    Welcome to the club! Glad you got the other dial color choice as these 1681s are rare birds now we have two on IWL in different colors. For black straps it's going to look great! I hope you will enjoy yours a much as I been enjoying mine!
    Thanks!

Well, as I have said, you are partly responsible for this.....

9. Likes -JP liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    Well, if this JR doesn't live up to expectations, who knows.....maybe it can be put to better use...

Although, I must say that its accuracy as been spot on. It gained only 2 sec after 3 days - Note - I am only timing it against my iPhone, so it is not the most accurate.... I lay the watch flat, and just wind it a couple of times every morning for the past 3 mornings. 2 sec. Pretty impressive.
    i can improve the watch, but then you have to wait untill my second year, first year is only pocketwatches

OT : it's a real stunner

11. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Nice..Congratulations on a great purchase.Enjoy it
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

13. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    I would call it a reward for so generously giving the first JR to your wife!

I admit I was browsing the website looking at those 1681 models just the other night. I certainly can't justify any purchases since I am in the process of a major downsizing, but those falling prices are tempting.

15. Likes Nutty28, -JP liked this post
    Well, guess this was inevitable.

Anyway, it's a beautiful watch, indeed. Congratulations

17. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Beautiful watch for sure! i love how lovely the cushion case and the overall sweet design...it is a charming watch..
    enjoy it with happy heart nutty!

PM me when someday you want to trade in with a g-shock... i'll make sure you dont have to add any money to the trade

19. Likes Nutty28 liked this post