Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Hentschel mean by calling the H1 cases "rosegold / bronze"

What Hentschel mean by calling the H1 cases "rosegold / bronze"

If you look on the endlessly frustrating Hentschel website their H1 watches are described as being made from EITHER rosegold/bronze OR whitegold/steel.

I've always wondered where exactly the bronze/steel is in case. Whilst searching aimlessly recently I came across an Australian retailer called Define Watches (Define Watches website) who stock Hentschel and other interesting companies (eg Bruno Söhnle, Dornbluth, Habring2) and took the opportunity to pester an English speaker with this question, receiving a nice email back full of info.

Is the bronze/steel only on the inside of the watch? Is all the visible metal gold?

"To answer the question: YES.... The bronze/RG and steel/WG cases for Chronometer H1 and WERK1 are made from 3 parts, all full gold and full bronze with i.e. bezel and bottom ring rose gold and case centre bronze."

"The cases are made of amazing quality, actually at Sinn’s case manufacturer SUG in Glashuette."

He also gave information about the cases for a couple of Hentschel's bronze models:

"The bronze cases of the Hafenmeister entrance model is full bronze, gloss finish polished. The bronze case for Ambassador (Botschafter) is matt full bronze.... Hentschel’s bronze cases are made from ship propeller bronze, treated in a special way to ensure that it keeps its look and does not become “dusty” green and leave marks on your wrist like other cases from eg Panerei do."

He also wrote some general enthusiasm:

"Hentschel is an amazing watchmaker....I do love his work and believe it is high end watchmaking in its best possible form. In fact, I see the quality above eg original Glashuette or even Lange & Soehne."

I suppose he's thinking of Hentschel's in house movement ("Werk 1"), only available in their largest models (39mm cases), when making the comparison with ALS. The movement in other models appears to be always heavily reworked AS1130s:

Last edited by Der Amf; Aug 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM.

2. Likes FuzzyB, mlcor, JohnF, I-B liked this post
    Great information--I've also wondered what that terminology meant. So I guess the white gold/steel models are a steel sandwich, with the case center being steel and the bezel and case back being white gold. I suppose that's probably better for strength.

4. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    P.S. Took a look at their website--great prices (no doubt partially due to the weakness of the AUD vs. the USD), but they don't say anything about shipping outside of Oz or NZ. Do you know if they do?

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    P.S. Took a look at their website--great prices (no doubt partially due to the weakness of the AUD vs. the USD), but they don't say anything about shipping outside of Oz or NZ. Do you know if they do?
    They show on the website a sales tax free price don't they? I think I saw on there the same email address I was told to write to (starts PP@ ) - worth asking.

I was quite surprised to see they're in Brisbane, not Sydney or Melbourne. Or Canberra, or Adelaide.....

*remembers how long it's been since he was there*

....things change I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    They show on the website a sales tax free price don't they? I think I saw on there the same email address I was told to write to (starts PP@ ) - worth asking.

I was quite surprised to see they're in Brisbane, not Sydney or Melbourne. Or Canberra, or Adelaide.....

*remembers how long it's been since he was there*

....things change I guess!
    Yes, but the sales tax free price may only relate to NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but the sales tax free price may only relate to NZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Australia has free trade agreements with both New Zealand and USA.....worth asking

Australia has free trade agreements with both New Zealand and USA.....worth asking
    Well, it's all academic for me at the moment--after the AP, there won't be any more purchases for me 'til next year...

Well, it's all academic for me at the moment--after the AP, there won't be any more purchases for me 'til next year...
    Nothing wrong with planning ahead....

12. Likes mlcor liked this post
    If someone who knows their way around the inside of a watch wishes to patronise me terribly by explaining very slowly how a part of the case can be separate to the external elements of the case, I would be v appreciative - my attempts to picture it in my head are getting nowhere. (Diagrams would be splendid)

If someone who knows their way around the inside of a watch wishes to patronise me terribly by explaining very slowly how a part of the case can be separate to the external elements of the case, I would be v appreciative - my attempts to picture it in my head are getting nowhere. (Diagrams would be splendid)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 1.04.49 PM.png
Views: 109
Size:  78.3 KB

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post