Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand or Body lotion?

Hybrid View

Solipsistic Philosopher mpfrost's Avatar
    Not far from the geographic center of the contiguous 48.

Exclamation Hand or Body lotion?

Is there any risk with these products degrading or harming rubber or resin straps?

The reason I ask, is that my fiance has purchased me some 'bath and body works' scented lotion. I'm presently daily wearing a Gshock Rangeman GW9400-1, which has a resin strap. From high school health class I know that some petroleum based products can break down/deteriorate some rubbers, notably latex. While I concede this is a decidedly different creature, I am concerned of a similar risk.
    I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul

Never had a problem in the last 45 years, at least not with hand/body lotion, sunscreen, baby oil, and so on. I'd probably be careful with bug repellant, although I never use the stuff myself.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Blog Entries
    From what I hear, bug repellant is the only real thing you have to worry about. Personally, I'd recommend just staying inside rather than going where there are bugs.

Just for your peace of mind... get some spare resin for the bezel and strap for that Rangeman.. and then, let it have some action and wear it to your heart content.

like every body else said, the bug spray may stain the resin on direct contact.. but the overall watch wont be harm.. also i heard that sun screen might do the same..
    like a said, just let it scar and stain for battle mark as a faithful companion and make your fiance happy that you enjoy her gift..

when you want to re-new the look, just put a new set of resin..

you can get the sparepart from pacparts or ebay.. goodluck and enjoy your watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Just for your peace of mind... get some spare resin for the bezel and strap for that Rangeman.. and then, let it have some action and wear it to your heart content.

like every body else said, the bug spray may stain the resin on direct contact.. but the overall watch wont be harm.. also i heard that sun screen might do the same..
    like a said, just let it scar and stain for battle mark as a faithful companion and make your fiance happy that you enjoy her gift..

when you want to re-new the look, just put a new set of resin..

you can get the sparepart from pacparts or ebay.. goodluck and enjoy your watch!
    I didn't know that was even an option for this watch! Interesting. Thank you guys

Yup, insect repellent and sun-block are the only problem lotions I've heard mentioned.

she gave you Durex "pleasure gel"?

8. Likes mpfrost liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    she gave you Durex "pleasure gel"?
    Eh what? :P

I confess that if I have a watch designed to take abuse then I expect it to take abuse. Lots of abuse. More to the point, what is a solipsist doing trying to crowdsource information? Isn't that like imagining a second copy of a newspaper to check that the first copy you imagined is correct? Either way I'm not sure how imaginary people can help with imaginary sunscreen on an imaginary watch. Anyway, what are you doing hallucinating this post in the first place? You already know this.

Implications of solipsism, a never ending source of bad jokes.

11. Likes mpfrost liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I confess that if I have a watch designed to take abuse then I expect it to take abuse. Lots of abuse. More to the point, what is a solipsist doing trying to crowdsource information? Isn't that like imagining a second copy of a newspaper to check that the first copy you imagined is correct? Either way I'm not sure how imaginary people can help with imaginary sunscreen on an imaginary watch. Anyway, what are you doing hallucinating this post in the first place? You already know this.

Implications of solipsism, a never ending source of bad jokes.
    I realized long ago that with solipsism, I must be a bit of a masochist. I've imagined some interesting things over the years.