Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Reprint of Rod's Other Island Intro Thread for the Muhle Glashutte 29er Big

Reprint of Rod's Other Island Intro Thread for the Muhle Glashutte 29er Big

This is a review about my Muhle Glashutte 29er Big from the other island. It's the last review I posted there worthy of copying over to my new island:

At the time I purchased the Muhle Glashutte 29er Big, my collection was different than it is today. I had FOUR terrific auto's all on alligator straps. Not a bad problem, but I live in Florida, and for at least 8 of 12 months, we live in a high heat, 'uber' humid climate. Unfortunately, alligator and sweat are not very good friends. This led me to the conclusion I needed something on a metal bracelet. To be cost effective, I tried to exchange my newest Ebel for the same model on metal, but sadly, there were no more to be found in the US through the Movado Customer Store (MCS). I thought I would just order the beautiful Ebel metal bracelet for the watch I have, but the partner (who is a bit tired of me buying watch after watch in short order) actually talked me out of that idea, as the black alligator strap with red stitching really does look great on the watch. So you could have pushed me out a chair with a feather when he said I could look for new watch on a metal bracelet (as long as I promised to NOT spend a fortune). [EDIT: I did get the Ebel bracelet last year, for which I am very grateful. It's Terrific]

So, the hunt began and my wants were as follows:

• Simple Bauhaus/Teutonic Style with Hour, Minutes, Seconds and Date (I have enough watches with chronographs)
    • Elegant and Casual (Could be worn to work or with jeans and t-shirt)
    • Metal Bracelet with a hidden clasp (Not a fan of big metal clasps)
    • Decent Lume (none of my other watches have much lume)
    • Automatic (Of course)
    • Very Accurate (Looks are important, but accuracy is more important)
    • Highly Serviceable
    • $2,000 or Less (This was firm)

So MANY THANKS TO MY FRIEND, Max (AKA Doboji), who offered some great suggestions (after all, I've helped him spend his hard earned $$ lately, so one good turn deserves another, right?!). The watch that resonated the most was the Muhle Glashutte 29ER Big. And now it's mine and on my wrist!

I'm really impressed with the Muhle. It checked every single box on my wants list. It's impeccably well made. The 29ER Big is not one of the more expensive watches in the Muhle stable. It lists at MSRP for $1699 (plus, I got a really good deal from my local AD, who happens to be the US Distributor for Muhle Glashutte). It looks and feels much more expensive. The movement is based on the Sellita SW200. And before anyone asks "isn't that a Swiss clone of an ETA 2824?" it's not just a stock movement put in a nice case. Muhle heavily modifies each movement and their accuracy is way beyond what one would expect in this price range. I didn't really know much about Muhle Glashutte before Max sent me a picture of the 29ER Big. It turns out this isn't just a reasonably priced watch. It's actually much much more. Once I did some research, I found some interesting facts about Muhle Glashutte:

• Robert Muhle started manufacturing measuring instruments for the Glashutte watchmaking industry in 1869
    • Muhle Glashutte, who was most noted for making precision marine chronometers, marine time systems and other nautical instruments, introduced their first mechanical watch in 1996
    • Muhle is the last and only watchmaker in Germany, still owned and run by the founding family
    • Every movement is disassembled and rebuilt with their own manufacture parts which are important for the accuracy of the movements (including the Woodpecker Neck Regulation, Fitting Balance Cock, Automatic Bridge, Rotor with its Riveted Rotating Weight and the Three-Quarter Plate with its attachments)
    • All work on each watch is finished in-house manually, even the blued screws which are blued by hand in the facilities
    • Muhle watch cases are made in Germany, by Fricker, one of the best case makers in the world
    • Particular attention is paid to the core of each mechanism, for example they use their own Regulation System and every Muhle movement offers regulation in Six Positions and is adjusted precisely to ensure the best accuracy (including at different winding rates)
    • If there is variation, the Muhle philosophy is the watch should run slightly fast as a Muhle watch wearer should arrive fashionably early, never late!

Now Some Pictures:

This isn't my video review, but it's pretty good: Muhle Glashutte 29er Big Watch by Page and Cooper - YouTube

I love how simple and elegant the face is. When I saw pictures of the watch, the face didn't look like it had much depth or visual interest. But in person, the face really is interesting in its simplicity. It's incredibly easy to tell the time, and the red seconds hand offers just enough contrast to offer some visual POP. It certainly has more lume (with Super LumiNova on the hands and hour markers) than any other watch I own. I also really appreciate how the watch is for the most part, all brushed stainless steel. There is a shiny lower band at the base and a shiny upper band at the bezel which sandwiches a brushed center case. The band is 100% brushed and there is no visible clasp, which is exactly what I wanted. As to accuracy, tonight's my first night with it, so I can't comment. I am expecting it to be very accurate, knowing how much Muhle invests in the the mechanism to ensure accuracy. And not that the box one's watch comes in is that important, but this came in a beautiful lacquered mahogany box. A very classy touch for sure.
    B&M Capeland Flyback/Muhle Glashutte 29er Big/Grand Seiko SBGR083/JeanRichard Aquascope/UTS 1000m V2/Ebel 1911 BTR Cal137/Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso/Lew & Huey Acionna

I do really like their nautical themed watches! Very smart and a fairly unique look to them too.

Found the review quite interesting too, adjusting to six positions when done judiciously is quite the added value to the movement by Muhle.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

3. Likes RBrylawski, hayday liked this post
    I believe the name "29er Big" is in reference to a class of yacht during regattas, though it may be the name of a specific yachting regatta.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    I do really like their nautical themed watches! Very smart and a fairly unique look to them too.

Found the review quite interesting too, adjusting to six positions when done judiciously is quite the added value to the movement by Muhle.
    Thanks! It's no Breguet, but I do like it. Yes I do!

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I believe the name "29er Big" is in reference to a class of yacht during regattas, though it may be the name of a specific yachting regatta.

-hayday
    You are correct!
    B&M Capeland Flyback/Muhle Glashutte 29er Big/Grand Seiko SBGR083/JeanRichard Aquascope/UTS 1000m V2/Ebel 1911 BTR Cal137/Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso/Lew & Huey Acionna

Good review Rod. I do really like the 29er Big. Thanks for making it even more interesting...

7. Likes RBrylawski liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Good review Rod. I do really like the 29er Big. Thanks for making it even more interesting...
    I'm glad you saw it Henry. I had you in mind after our posts in today's WRUW thread!

9. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post

By this do you mean the last company established pre-war? Where ownership survived the Nazi regime and also the Communist government that followed? Obviously there are little modern companies still run by their founders (eg Dornbluth)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

By this do you mean the last company established pre-war? Where ownership survived the Nazi regime and also the Communist government that followed? Obviously there are little modern companies still run by their founders (eg Dornbluth)
    Yes, that is what I meant. I know there are many post war modern companies.

Super review....even the second time around! Clean, spacious dial and beefy bracelet are my favorite aspects of the 29er Big.

13. Likes RBrylawski liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Super review....even the second time around! Clean, spacious dial and beefy bracelet are my favorite aspects of the 29er Big.
    Thanks Walter!