Likes Likes:  798
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Wednesday - 19 August 2015 »»»»»»»»»

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Work has been absolutely nuts this week. However this one was delivered yesterday for me.
    Attachment 29008

Congratulations Aaron, looks great on-ya

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Mid-week substitution. The 1895 Illinois 6 labelled Paillard Non-Magnetic Watch Co. has suffered an injury. Clearly, I can't be trusted with watches that old. So, a newer one will take its place for the rest of the week.

This 1896 Elgin is unusual in many ways. At 18s, 7j it is not RR grade (which makes it somewhat unusual for my collection). Further, it's a side-winder, with Roman numerals. The RN are not all that unusual (even for RR grade) for 1895, but the Hunter configuration also makes it slightly rare in my collection. It *is* lever set, and has a nice gilt finish to the full plate. But, if that were all there were, I wouldn't have considered it.

The reason I own it is buried deep inside. It contains a very unusual (not to say unique) cannon pinion. If you look very, very carefully at the pictures...you still can't see it. I think of it as a kind of Easter Egg. Only I know it's there (and that's enough!)

Attachment 28995Attachment 28996
    The movement seems like a much older design than is usual for that date, and I see that it was at the tail of production, having started it's run in 1884. From the Elgin Database (which I know you've seen):

Serial Number..SN Range.Quanty.Name.Year.grade.size...code.jewels Adj/reg/etc.
    -------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
    .......6494251..6492001...4000......1895....96. 18s..hfg2l.....7j

grade.total..runs.first yr.last yr.class.size...code.jewels...Adj/name
    ----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
    .96..566000...106.....1884....1898.....6. 18s..hfg2l.....7j

Class 6: 18s HC fp
    ..6 193000 made lever model 2-4 7j gilded slow train (4.5 bps)
    ..7 277000 made key model 1 7j gilded slow train (4.5 bps)
    .96 566000 made lever model 2-4 7j gilded
    .97 323000 made key model 1 7j gilded
    171 .22000 made lever model 2-4 7j

Not that rare, with a production of 566,000.

The case is likely a Crescent Swing Ring case, which was all the rage in the 1890's. My 15-jewel 16-size Elgin (Grade 284) has a much newer movement, but the case is very similar to yours:

The difference in the case is the knurling on the screwed bezel, but being lever-set, your's would need it more than mine.

Rick "wishing other companies had a databae like that" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Aug 20, 2015 at 12:14 AM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

3. Likes germy, Banker liked this post

««««««««« WRUW - Wednesday - 19 August 2015 »»»»»»»»»

New arrival which I know will not be to everyone's taste. It is a custom Marina Miltare vintage homage. This one Is a forever keeper. It was the first watch built by one of the most talented watch builders I have ever seen. It uses a Moljina movement, plexi crystal, resin fill dial, Mini-Fifty style case that has been reshaped and custom lug bars. I much prefer sterile dials but this is one I could not say no to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Aug 20, 2015 at 03:08 AM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Work has been absolutely nuts this week. However this one was delivered yesterday for me.
    Attachment 29008
    Isn't it interesting how a new arrival can make up for a crappy work day or week.?
    Ball | Baume et Mercier | Christopher Ward | Elgin | Frederique Constant | Hamilton | Helson | Longines | Lum-Tec | Nomos Glashütte | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Tag Heuer | Tissot

7. Likes Chase liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    Isn't it interesting how a new arrival can make up for a crappy work day or week.?
    An excellent point. It surely can!

Now if only I had a new arrival every week for that purpose
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

9. Likes RBrylawski, Banker liked this post