Likes Likes:  28
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Hentschel mean by calling the H1 cases "rosegold / bronze"

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    (a) I meant: like stainless steel, would it not tarnish/corrode?

(b) Given the cost of these watches*, its hard to think that its a cost-saving decision. My guess would be that this company, very aware of their Hamburg heritage, self-identify as users of bronze: they make watches 100% in bronze but none 100% in gold

*the Inselchronometer has the same gold/bronze construction, holds their inhouse movement, and costs $17,000
    I did say "cost" and not "price". But I don't doubt that they are jumping on the bronze bandwagon as a means of distinguishing themselves from the herd.

All metals form oxide layers. The metals that do so most gracefully are the ones we call "stainless", or even "precious". Stainless steel rapidly forms a thin, tough, nearly invisible oxide layer that prevents further oxidation. Same with gold--that's why both steel and gold still look better after being polished up. Rhodium is perhaps the best of all materials used in watches for preventing visible tarnish. The aluminum in aluminum-bronze apparently contributes to a colorless oxide layer unusual for copper alloys like bronze and brass, which would otherwise turn brown (with simple zinc oxide) or green (with an electrolyte-inspired copper oxide verdigris). Silver, of course, forms silver oxide which is black. (Aluminum can oxidize with a chalky surface--anodizing, which is simply controlled oxidation--prevents that.) Titanium has a colorless oxide that forms nearly instantly, particularly when alloyed with aluminum, which is what makes it so stable.

These oxides often protect the metal from further corrosion to some extent. But if cracks form, one can still get further corrosion, because a tight crack prevents oxygen from getting to the area easily which inhibits the formation of the protective oxide layer. Water and eletrolyte can get into the crack, though, and cause corrosion. Even stainless steel can suffer from this, which means it isn't always the best choice for, say, marine saltwater application. In those cases, the oxide formed by metals such as aluminum-bronze is more stable, and the material is more ductile which helps prevent those cracks. And so on.

Rick "who still doesn't see much value in copper-based alloys for watch cases" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Aug 21, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

2. Likes Der Amf, Adi4 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    ...and has way too much writing on the dial.
    Fortunately each watch is custom built

Fortunately each watch is custom built
    Yes, the thought has occurred.

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post

"who still doesn't see much value in copper-based alloys for watch cases"
    Cause it looks neat?

I admit that use of it to replicate the look of rose gold seems a bit weird but general I love bronze and brass watches.

Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Der Amf, suggest you talk or email Frank Valentin. He was of much help when I purchased both Hentschel watches. While you may not like or agree with his input/responses, at least you might get more specific and definite answers to your questions and thereby abate your confusion . . .

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    Der Amf, suggest you talk or email Frank Valentin. He was of much help when I purchased both Hentschel watches. While you may not like or agree with his input/responses, at least you might get more specific and definite answers to your questions and thereby abate your confusion . . .
    Yeah I think you're right. Letting my thoughts settle so I make the most of the opportunity and ask questions best.

Here, tell us what you thought of the combination of metals

10. Likes uchinanchu liked this post
    Yeah I think you're right. Letting my thoughts settle so I make the most of the opportunity and ask questions best.

Here, tell us what you thought of the combination of metals
    Good! You know, I'm not a real in-depth watch lover, meaning I don't get into the intricacies of movements, history of brands, etc. I buy what looks good to me. The 2 Hentschel watches I've owned were well worth the money to me. I never noticed the different parts of the case until this thread came up so it was not readily apparent, at least to my eyes. And if I had noticed and became more educated as to the process/parts, that wouldn't have stopped my purchase decisions. That said, I have no problem with and quite understand your apprehension and confusion with regard to the subject. Indeed, Hentschel needs to communiate/explain from their perspective so you can either keep lusting or move on to another brand(s) . . . good luck sir!!

12. Likes Der Amf, mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Yes, the thought has occurred.
    A little illustration of the degree of variation they're capable of:

14. Likes mlcor liked this post