Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Whole bean coffee reccomendations?

Question Whole bean coffee reccomendations?

I love my morning coffee, but I haven't found any beans that are worth mentioning or buying again. I use a french press and I prefer strong, black coffee. At coffee shops I usually go for a dark roast. Has anyone found any coffee beans they love?

Obligatory pic from this mornings coffee. Thanks!

Name:  IMG_20150819_073006.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  57.9 KB

I recommend Modcup in Jersey City Heights. They'll ship to you.

http://modcup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    They'll ship to you.
    That's good because it would be a heck of a long way to go for coffee! What roasts from Modcup have you tried and enjoyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    That's good because it would be a heck of a long way to go for coffee! What roasts from Modcup have you tried and enjoyed?
    You know, I've had some of their African and Central and South American roasts but I don't recall the names now. They used to bring a cart (with a fully functioning espresso machine) down to the river near my office, but I haven't had the hot brew in more than a year*.
    Last edited by Ryan; Aug 19, 2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Maybe two?

I'll add that I think most (mostly coffee nerds) would describe their product as third wave, which, if you enjoy it, means that the beans are roasted in small batches to exacting, highly controlled measures that allow the true nature of the beans to shine through. If you don't like it, it's kinda bitter and tastes a bit like Dunkin Donuts.

I just use a local roaster. I usually get some variety of Sumatra, but they have a lot of choices. I drink my coffee black made from either a French Press or mainly a Chemex

For me it would have to be Cubita. You may be able to get it in the States now that the embargo is coming to an end, well worth a try.
    I get it from a cigar importer in the UK.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

8. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post
    Love Cubita beans.

That said, if you've tried multiple beans and don't have a favourite, change your brewing method. Personally, I don't find the French press to be a very good method for coffee. I suggest a chemex. You can use a finer grind and get more flavour. But I still get crystal clear coffee right down to the last drop.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Blog Entries
    Here in Mountain View, I have a friend who owns a coffee shop called Dana Street Roasting, and they only do individual roasts of the very best beans they can find. The sources change from year to year, because (in part) some of the best growers live in politically unstable areas, like Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Columbia, etc. I have a few favorites from him. The most unusual (and now unavailable) was an Ethiopian Yrgacheff organically grown, that tasted like a cross between blueberry, lemon and milk chocolate. Many of the more delicate beans are roasted medium, and they don't do anything dark like a French roast. The darkest they go is a light full city roast, just silky matte brown surface. Their most reliable source is from La Minita Estate in Costa Rica, organically grown with round chocolatey notes and a hint of herbs and peanut. They do it medium roast, perfect for drip. If you want, maybe I can try to figure out how to send you a pound?
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.