Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newcomer Sinn brings my Germans up to a week's worth... Warning: GuB content!

Btw I'm sure that the Glashutte logo accounts for at least a third of the price of a GUB, and I'm fairly relaxed about that - after all, it is a very *pretty* logo

*thinks of rare and exceeding expensive vintage Rolexes with very ugly additional logos on the dial*

Yes, my interest in Soviet watches has been such a bonus history lesson!

And one of the things I loved about Miss G was her power reserve, 41hrs according to Ranfft
    For some reason that particularly impresses me in so small a movement :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Sodding Samsungs have the attitude that "Oh you're writing in English you won't ever need any accents" God I miss my blackberry, at least it was designed for civilised humans.
    cannot recommend SwiftKey enough. First thing I do on new phone is always to replace the stock keyboard (especially on Samsungs). Support for multiple languages, much better predictive texting.

..it is a very *pretty* logo
    The combo of that calligraphed logo and the sparse design just totally does it for me
    Maybe we need a thread on 'the logo sold me the watch' :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    cannot recommend SwiftKey enough. First thing I do on new phone is always to replace the stock keyboard (especially on Samsungs). Support for multiple languages, much better predictive texting.
    The one thing that I do like about this is that it offers a Nokia style keyboard - I got so fast the blackberry I had with a Nokia keyboard that my attempts to use the tiny standard QWERTY were hilarious. I was once a data-inputer, and after that the desire to type absurdly fast never leaves you, it seems

8. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    The combo of that calligraphed logo and the sparse design just totally does it for me
    You've just reminded me of a thread I meant to do which I believe will be of interest to your catalogue of photos of past watches....one moment.....

Yes, my interest in Soviet watches has been such a bonus history lesson!

And one of the things I loved about Miss G was her power reserve, 41hrs according to Ranfft
    For some reason that particularly impresses me in so small a movement :-)
    I rarely miss the excuse to wind a watch, so I don't usually notice that kind of thing. I must test it out

Btw (how should one abbreviate Skywatch do we think? SW? Sky? Mr ywatch?) since the Luch had its second bath it's PR has gone from well under 24 hours - I now can't remember exactly what it was unfortunately - to 34 hours 35 minutes.

11. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Name:  DSC02342.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  DSC02445.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  57.4 KB

13. Likes skywatch, FuzzyB liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Sodding Samsungs have the attitude that "Oh you're writing in English you won't ever need any accents" God I miss my blackberry, at least it was designed for civilised humans. I love that Germany declared (quite literally) that since umlauts are tricky, everyone was quite welcome to replace them with "e"s. And of course, most people just omit them.

Anyway, in Miss G is an 09-20 which is a very tiny and not round movement, developed, iirc, for ladies watches and presumably needed for in Miss G not to foul the curve of the dial.

Before it was serviced it was gaining four minutes a day, now just the one. Hurrah for the lack of a seconds hand
    Åhh, yés, I vagüely rémémber séeing thåt møvement în å løng agö pôst of yoürs.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

15. Likes OhDark30, meijlinder liked this post
    Blog Entries

For me as well. I am fond of GuB for a few reasons: aesthetics (the marker fonts especially), the history and the logo. I would never mistake them for a high-end watch. In fact, other than the Spezimatic, their movements aren't very good. But my mind performs an interesting backwards association with the name. Since current Glashutte brands are quite good, and the earliest ones in Lange's era were among the top in Europe, something about the GDR era struggles seems historically interesting, if a bit sad.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.