Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumblebees

Blog Entries

Bumblebees

I hate having to kill off bumblebees but sometimes you just can't avoid it.
    A chipmunk dug a small hidey hole right at the corner of my front porch concrete steps and lately a small colony of bumblebees took it over. I normally would leave them undisturbed but it's in a place where grandkids and other visitors might be stung.
    So yesterday I assassinated the queen and her consorts with wasp killer.
    Today i got a bunch of limestone screenings and packed the hole full of gravel.
    I really hate having to kill off such an interesting and useful bug but there was no other alternative.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Capture and relocation wasn't possible?

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Surely there's a local beekeeper that could have moved them for you?
    I understand your safety concerns but bees are in trouble these days and we should do everything we can to avoid harming them.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

4. Likes Strange liked this post
    Apparently (ie Google told me....) finding someone to shift a bumblebee nest is rather harder than finding someone to take your honeybees

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Apparently (ie Google told me....) finding someone to shift a bumblebee nest is rather harder than finding someone to take your honeybees

I disagree. Having completed a beekeeping course over the last few years I know that council pest control departments have local beekeepers on their books who will remove bees of all kinds. I remember helping my mentor to move some aggressive tree bumblebees from somebody's chimney.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Oh man - can see the headlines now:

"Retired Canadian Slaughters Beehive - No Survivors"

You saw what happened to that dentist for killing one lion. Imagine the field day they'll have with you - and that was a male lion, not only did you murder a female, but she was pregnant.

8. Likes scottjc liked this post
    On a side note . A fir tree near the front door is smothered in wasps at the mo. Never seen before. Assume after sap.

Blog Entries
    I like bees. This makes me sad.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Capture and relocation wasn't possible?

Vacuum cleaner. .......

Wait, did I hear something about a chipmunk?? ... I need pictures of him cos I've only seen cartoon ones 'til now

12. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Name:  8c50c2913098108ead0d1406866f2756.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  9.5 KB
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

14. Likes Seriously liked this post