Likes Likes:  7

Thread: My 3 Germans

My 3 Germans

Recently I discovered my love for German watches thanks to experiencing Sinn. Since then the focus of my collection has been on primarily German brands as my top tier. The style and craftsmanship, IMO, just can't be beaten for the prices. So here are my 3 Germans right now.

Damasko DA363: This is the newest and since my Sinn is still out for service (long story below) it's also the watch that gets the most wrist time. When I went to take a look at the brand before buying one i was thinking I'd prefer a DA343. I even tried that one on and came close to walking out with it but I felt that the DA363, as busy as the dial is with the rehaut, was still the more iconic piece so I bought it. At first I semi-regretted it. I thought I didn't like all of the lines and numbers on the dial but the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me and, soon after, I fell in love with it. It was after adding a custom Clover strap that it was elevated to its current status of virtually never leaving my wrist. The only watch that will truly compete with it for wrist time will be my Sinn whenever I eventually get it back.

Sinn 142 D1: This was my first German watch and my first experience owning a Sinn. It's estimated to be from the early 90's and the dial and the case style just make this one unbeatable. Add to that the Lemania 5100 movement and it becomes a true classic. Recently I decided that it needed some cosmetic work. I was originally going to send it to Sinn but it was suggested that I try Jack at IWW so I did and it saved me a fortune on the cosmetic work. He re-painted the chrono hands, and re-lumed the hour and minute hands and bead blasted the case. Unfortunately in the process of removing the pushers one of them snapped from some rust. Another screw-in pusher sent to him to try didn't fit so I had to turn to RGM. They quoted me replacing both only and it was going to be almost $300. So I contacted Sinn directly (which had been recommended to me) but Sinn simply forwarded my e-mail to Watchbuys who then contacted me and told me that I had to go through RGM. After days of going back and forth Sinn finally agreed to just ship 1 pusher so it'll be half the cost. Unfortunately the watch has already been out for about 7 weeks and now it has to go to RGM where it'll sit for another 4-6 weeks for them to spend 2 minute to screw in 1 pusher. It's been frustrating but it's worth it for the results. See the before and after:

Muhle Glaschutte Marinus GMT: This was the most expensive of the 3 watches (if you leave out what all of the work on the Sinn is costing me) and it shows in the quality of the construction. The dial is crisp and the bi-directional bezel action is rock solid. And that bezel insert that is actually aluminum with laser cut numbers and indices into the PVD coating. It's easily one of the highest quality watches I've ever owned. Unfortunately, because of the Damasko and the eventually returning Sinn, it doesn't quite get the wrist time it deserves. It's the only one that I'm considering flipping but I feel like I may regret it. Whether or not I did, it's still just an amazingly beautiful watch.

2. Likes Chronopolitano, geoffbot, Bwana liked this post
    Savagely Average
    All three outstanding watches! Each time I scrolled down I thought "That is the one I will comment on".....then I realized I said it for all of them. Great choices!

4. Likes SteamJ, birdynamnam liked this post
    The strap on your Damasko really sets the watch off very nicely. Well done.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

6. Likes SteamJ liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    The strap on your Damasko really sets the watch off very nicely. Well done.
    Thanks! Patrik from Clover Straps made it for me. It's the 5th strap I've gotten from him and is incredibly quality like the rest.

Here's the watch on the original Damasko strap for comparison.

It's a well made strap but I couldn't get over the lime green stitching.

8. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Great choices, is that a Hauerville on the Damasko ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Great choices, is that a Hauerville on the Damasko ?
    Nope, it's a custom made strap from Clover Straps. It definitely highlights the watch far better than the original Damasko strap.