Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presenting - new Seiko Monster SRP315

Presenting - new Seiko Monster SRP315

Hi guys,
    I think this is my 1st post in the dive watches forum - for some time I had no divers at all even though I started my collecting days with them. Just started to get some again with a Citizen BN0104. Then a few days ago I came across somebody mentioning a good deal on a SRP315 on amazon - the deal was the same on ebay from the same seller - so I went with that one - ordered one day - received it the next and it's on my wrist now for a little over a day.
    Here it is - some first impressions (on some pics the bezel is one click off from "12" - only noticed it afterwards however):

I had a black Monster before but sold it a while back. The new movement is really an improvement - however the hand-winding makes the crown not screw down as smoothly as it did on the old model.
    Case is mostly the same:

I think the only thing that's different is the crown. The bezel still turns in 120 clicks - IMO the bezel action of a Citizen is much better. The cheap feeling while turning the bezel was also one reason I sold the old one - well, I think this time it's a keeper so I'll just avoid turning the bezel - it's not that I really need to turn it anyway - I'm no diver. (edit: that was maybe a little too harsh - the bezel is ok - but the ratcheting spring could be stronger - it just turns a little too easily for my taste but it's certainly no dealbreaker).

The strap is different from the old one - it's not a Z20 but a B20 - IMO it's an improvement as it's softer. Never been a fan of bracelets so the rubber strap was the 1st choice anyway. The black strap also works together very well with the black bezel.

Lume is still excellent - can't compare it since I don't have the old one anymore but it's super strong - I activated it for 15 seconds under my reading lamp before going to sleep last night - you could really use it as a flashlight afterwards. Have to wait till I wake up in the middle of the night however to test how long the lume lasts - I'm assuming it will be readable the whole night through. It's no wonder the Monster became kind of a reference for good lume.

Back of the watch with the typical Seiko tsunami wave:

I have the version that says "Movement Japan" on the back and "Movt Japan" on the dial - probably caused by import/export regulations to different markets - AFAIK there's no difference between the "Made in Japan"-versions and the others - they all come from the same factories (which might or might not be in Japan - but I'm not going into that as it has been discussed ad nauseam).

Some crappy lume shots - just activated it with a flashlight for a few seconds and it started glowing:

Some thoughts in no particular order:
    The hand-winding and hacking is an improvement even though it makes the crown not screw down as smoothly as it did on the old version. IMO the cleaned up dial with the shark-teeth indices looks much better than the old one. The black chapter ring with the orange dial looks like it was inspired by some mods done by the dive watch enthusiasts' community - but Japanese companies often have been quick to pick up on trends among the fan crowd - Casio did this, too when they came out with a bunch of new camo models after custom camo dye jobs became a trend.
    The watch wears comfy and smaller than the name "Monster" suggests because of the short lugs.
    At this price point it's an incredible value for the money but even at regular online prices it's still good IMO.

Some specs:
    Manufacturer: Seiko
    Model Name: SRP315 - nicknamed "Monster"
    Movement: 4R36 - a modified version of the 7S36 with added handwinding and hacking
    - automatic - rotor winding in both directions with the "magic lever" system
    Crystal: Seiko "Hardlex" - hardened mineral crystal
    Lumed hands and markers - Seiko "Lumibrite"
    Size: appr. 42 mm diameter without the crown - 46 lug-to-lug - height: 13 mm
    Unidirectional 120 click rotating bezel PVD-coated (I think)
    Strap: rubber/resin (not sure) B20 - unbranded clasp - 20 mm lugs but the strap has "shoulders" that widen it to 24 mm - 18 mm at the clasp
    Water resistance: 200m
    Last edited by Sedi; Aug 24, 2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: specifications added
    Cheers, Sedi

Big congrats Sedi !

Great to see you posting here in the dive watch section.

This new Monster is really a great watch.
    Like the overall look of this one.

I own two Monster (black&orange) in the past but sold these two.
    Normally I like the old version of the Monster over the new one.
    But this one with the orange dial and the black chapter ring is awesome.

I look over this one the last weeks but held me back to order one.
    Now you come around the corner with this SEIKO, thats not fair !

I wonder, you say the bezel action is not good.
    The bezel action of my two 1st generation Monster was great.
    Regards Phil
    Moderator German Watches & Dive Watches

well got mine for a great price from creation one of the new diver watches I got but yes I too was surprise on sizes as it not as big as some. it's bigger then my 1054 but not bigger then some of my Russian divers so yes but it did not seem to mind here's mine
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Congrats Sedi, great watch and review!

Wear it in good health.

Thanks guys!
    @Phil
    The bezel is fine but compared to a Citizen it just doesn't feel as solid when turning it. Might be because of the 120 clicks but it also feels like the ratcheting spring is just weaker on the Monster. It turns a little too easily for my taste.

Ah, ok.

I will see, ordered the same one today 😊
    Regards Phil

I'm sure you'll love it. Even my wife likes it and she's normally not at all interested in my watches. I fired up the lume before going to bed and she asked me if I had my phone still on because it was so bright . "Na, it's my new watch, hon"

9. Likes deCompression, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I'm sure you'll love it. Even my wife likes it and she's normally not at all interested in my watches. I fired up the lume before going to bed and she asked me if I had my phone still on because it was so bright . "Na, it's my new watch, hon"
    Regards Phil

So, the watch is already here !

Delivered with free evening express shipping.
    Sent out today - delivered today

I am really impressed by this watch.

Really nice dial in person. And crazy lume

And the bezel is great. Strong and smoothly crisp !

Now I will order the OEM SEIKO Monster ss bracelet.
    Regards Phil

12. Likes OTGabe, is that my watch liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Nice one Sedi. I still have my old OM as I prefer the rectangular markers to the triangular ones. As for the bezel, I guess it's just a matter of taste. Many divers have more of a ratchet feel, with more sound and tactile feedback. I really like the way Seiko divers are more like the tumblers on a safe - smooth and quiet.

So what are you doing for strap choices?