Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New toy - getting really REALLY close!

New toy - getting really REALLY close!

So macros seem to be a bit of a theme at IWL recently so I thought I would contribute a new set I've taken recently. I just received a new toy, not a watch but a new Zeiss "Makro" lens.

Previously I was using a Nikon mount Zeiss 100mm f/2 with an adaptor on my Fuji XT-1 Camera. However I just picked up the dedicated fuji mount Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 Makro Planar (quite the mouthful) which gets even closer than the older lens and a Fuji extension tube accessory which lets me get even close than the lens by itself!

The subject today is the Glashütte Original Panograph. I had posted a thread with a lot of close ups previously and that was very much a journey of self education for me with respect to movement finishing.

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...e-GO-Panograph

Today though its mostly going to be pictures. The new lens with its closer focussing abilities has opened up new perspectives. Some pictures which are similar in framing to the previous article are showing much more detail as I didn't have to crop in so much and lose quality (these differences are quite apparent on full screen with high res displays).

Anyway enough prattling, I hope you will enjoy the pictures! If theres anything that particularly intrigues you, you can click through and download the full size images on photo bucket.

Nice look at the shock protection and also the poising weights on the traditional style screwed balance wheel still favoured by some German brands.

Another look at the shock absorber and some fine details of the black polished swan neck

Freehand engraving

Perfect polish on the outer surfaces of the swan neck

Another detail view

Can catch a glimpse of the pallet fork and escape wheel in there

Nivarox hairspring

The screws on the Panograph are superbly done. Anyone can drop them into an oven and heat blue them but up close you can see the superb polishing including the outer edges and along the inside of the slot

The anglage is not bad but perhaps underwhelming for the price of the Panograph. This is excellent for their entry level watches but for the Art & Teknik collection watches like the Panograph, PML etc they need to step it up a little bit I think especially given the truly spectacular stuff elsewhere on the watch. The Breguet Marine which is a cheaper watch than the Panograph has nicer beveled edges (new close ups to follow soon!).

Traditional gold chaton held by 3 screws

This large black polished jewel cover plate on the chronograph bridge remains one of my favourite features, it just looks spectacular in person

I just quite like this pic looks good full screen.

Getting really close now! What I actually thought were small scratches from the scraping of the chronograph control levers against the column wheel turned out to be lubricant smears (not sure if the amount is normal or if they over did it, you don't see many macro photos online getting this close after all)

From the other side. Take note of the polished contact surface of the lever compared to the matte finish across the rest of it. I tried my best in the previous article but the quality wasn't this good. Still they must be viewed full screen to see all the detail, doesn't quite come across in forum sizes.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed looking at these
    Last edited by tempocalypse; Aug 24, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

3. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    VERY, NICE, SHOTS!.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

5. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post

I just quite like this pic looks good full screen.

Stunning pictures of an equally stunning movement. Think I've found my new background image for the computer.

7. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Wet weather over there Goeff?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    VERY, NICE, SHOTS!.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Stunning pictures of an equally stunning movement. Think I've found my new background image for the computer.
    Haha go for it, would be honoured Sorry about the dust spots on the crystal , couldn't be bothered to spot them out in Lightroom.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    Wet weather over there Goeff?

It bloody is as it happens! But that's not why my trousers are wet...

10. Likes FuzzyB, popoki nui liked this post
    TMI

Super duper pictures though

I must get my macro out again and do some more shots

Whee! Man those are awesome. Can't wait for you to do your Marine. At some point I will have to actually get a real camera...

Its time for the drool photo that I keep for occasions like this.....

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440426182.616856.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  31.3 KB

Fantastic shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous photos, Tempocalypse! I can't wait to see what else you capture with that lens. I just bought a new macro lens for my Canon and can't wait to try it out. I may need some nicer watches to photograph, though.