Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Camera tripod repair help needed

Camera tripod repair help needed

I recently got a vintage Velbon aluminium tripod. I wanted a solid one so went looking for some of the older ones. Settled on a VGB-3C as they got very good ratings compared to the plastic stuff available.
    Problem is I failed to notice a snapped leg clamp in the photos. It still clamps but hurts to operate it as it has left sharp aluminium on the bit left over.
    Anyone got any ideas on how to effect a solid repair or even a permanent workaround?
    Velbon are a no go as they said they don't carry spares for 30yr old products.

yep got the same prob I use a pocket plyers .

but then normal always have them in my pocket as dam handy thing to have around I will need a new one at some point but have not found a supplier that does the one I had wish when bought on sale I had snag a couple of them
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes ro63rto liked this post
    That looks like a pot metal casting. You should be able to epoxy/JBWeld the original piece or an appropriate thumb sized piece of metal back into place.

World's Strongest Bond | J-B Weld (jbweld.com)

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    That looks like a pot metal casting. You should be able to epoxy/JBWeld the original piece or an appropriate thumb sized piece of metal back into place.

World's Strongest Bond | J-B Weld (jbweld.com)
    Completely forgot about this stuff.
    Do you think I could make the entire replacement thumb lever out of JBWeld or is it only meant to stick things together?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    Completely forgot about this stuff.
    Do you think I could make the entire replacement thumb lever out of JBWeld or is it only meant to stick things together?
    Thanks
    Humm, good question. Epoxy hardens like steal so if you could fashion a form to hold and shape the epoxy to the stub while it hardens then maybe. Just sticking a piece of metal to the stub sounds easier, provided it looks okay.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Humm, good question. Epoxy hardens like steal so if you could fashion a form to hold and shape the epoxy to the stub while it hardens then maybe. Just sticking a piece of metal to the stub sounds easier, provided it looks okay.
    Thanks
    I'll try the easier option first. Just have to order the correct JBWeld kit.