Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ID from vague descriptions

ID from vague descriptions

Two watches sighted recently that intrigued me. One (perhaps) matters - the other doesn't. Let's see how much we can deduce from vague descriptions.

a) BIG - I'm thinking 48mm+ with a non-tapered 24mm plain leather strap - on what were probably fixed lugs with a distinct gap between the case and the strap. SS bezel with no markings I could see - just a coarse, wavy edge for a secure grip. Black dial with RED hands and indices. Worn by a 70-something gentleman who might once have been large and powerful, but now is...not (still a big tall...) Not close enough to read any markings (if any) on the dial. Not thin, but not obviously thick, given the dial size.

b) worn by a 30-something wannabe. Quartz. Blue dial with no markings other than simple round dots at 3,6,9,12. Perhaps 38mm? non-descript strap. Or, was it a bracelet? Whatever, it made no impression. What I noticed was the naked dark blue dial.

Ring any bells? Pointers to "possibilities" I can look at for comparison?
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Blog Entries
    You can try posting some things from Google Image search, to show the "sort of" dial? Thinking minimal 38mm quartz with blue dial, first thought is Skagen based on what I see 30-somethings wear, on the small and minimal side of things.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

I was close enough to the blue dial to see that there were ZERO markings on the dial, except for 4 round dots (at 3,6,9,12)
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

A quick search on blue dials bring up this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Diam...#ProductDetail

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 47
Size:  64.5 KB
    only markers at 3, 6, 9, 12

close. Lose the diamond, and the "DIAMOND" and we're almost there!

ID from vague descriptions

The first watch you described sounds a bit like the B&R bomber regulator. It's big and has a wavy bezel with minimal markings. It doesn't have red markers though. I'm having issues uploading pictures so here's a link instead.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/bell-ros...atch-hands-on/
    Last edited by FuzzyB; Aug 26, 2015 at 07:31 AM.

The B&R Bomber is getting close. I'd say that the knurling was about twice the frequency (half the wavelength). The bezel material looked like SS, and I couldn't see any markings (but it was a good 5ft away from me at all times)

I might go so far as to say that the watch I saw might have been 60+ years old, and might have been the inspiration for watches like the modern B&R Bomber.

The gentleman wearing it was definitely "vintage", and the watch looked as if it belonged to him in the 1950's (maybe 1960's?). My made-up story for him might be that he was USAF sometime between the Korean and Vietnam wars.

Aside from the size, what was distinctive to me was the flat black dial with red hands (and...I think...indices)