Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Will/Should watches like this ever come back into style?...

Will/Should watches like this ever come back into style?...

There's something appealing about them...usually silver or gold, or even stainless, with very thin movements and hard to notice on the wrist.
    I cannot see myself wearing one often.
    What say ye? Will they become popular again (they, or some modern version)?
    Or are we permanently mired in the world of Royal Oaks, PAMs and Tuna Cans?

Name:  i-img431x575-16098476795zj7002413864.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  35.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Nomos seems to be doing quite well, and there are a bunch of Bauhaus-minimalist kickstarters all the time, so someone must like them. Skagen seems to be thriving. I suspect the top-end luxury manufacturers have been focusing on more identifiable designs that show off their complexity. Just a thought.

I also am quite fond of thin minimalist watches, by the way!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by watch carefully View Post
    Or are we permanently mired in the world of Royal Oaks, PAMs and Tuna Cans?

I think I see more minimalist designs than PAMs and Cans - both on the wrists of enthusiasts and in the windows of High Street shops.

As skywatch says, Nomos and Skagen seem to be doing well, and Daniel Wellington seems to be everywhere. Royal Oaks are as popular as ever (and maybe more popular than ever), but they’re quite a long way removed from PAMs and Cans.

What you may not see are super-slim watches measuring 33-35mm, which might be the size of the Favre-Leuba. Watches like that haven’t been popular for fifty years or more, which is reflected in their price in the vintage market.

Quote Originally Posted by watch carefully View Post
    What say ye? Will they become popular again (they, or some modern version)?
    Noes!

Savagely Average
    Nomos and bauhaus were my first thoughts as well. Not broad appeal, but definitely niche relevance today

Prefer the thin snug fitting , with lowered lugs that rest around the wrist, instead of a thick case/back that slides around .
    Pleased to say there are some around , more than a few years ago too. So some must like'um

I have always been a fan of Piaget watches. I think thin is the ultamate complication for a dress watch. If I every truly had a use case for a dress watch that would be what I would go for. I've had a Movado Museum watch and a couple Zenith Ultra Thin Elites before I put an embargo on any dress watch being allowed in my collection. These days it's funny that a Panerai 619 at 45mm by 9mm thick may have been the thinnest watch I've owned in the past five years. I think right now about 12 mm is the thinnest and I have one or two that are around 17mm thick. !4mm to 15mm seems the norm.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

8. Likes Mediocre, popoki nui liked this post
    Yes, absolutely!

I have a thin watch...nothing quite as fancy (ha), but very thin.

Last edited by gnuyork; May 4, 2021 at 02:47 AM.

10. Likes skywatch, tribe125, Mediocre, popoki nui liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Wholeheartedly agree, thinner is better! My favorite diver to wear is actually a microbrand, and part of the appeal is the 11.5mm thickness. I have 2 dress watches under 8mm, and they just wear unde a cuff so much better.

It is part of the appeal of the Bvlgari Octo Finnisimo:sp: line for me

Reminds me a bit of the FC I recently flipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk