Likes Likes:  1

Thread: another day, another discovery

another day, another discovery

Now *that* is interesting... I just discovered (accidentally) that the date wheel on my newly acquired Rado Diastar is bi-lingual. English and French date abbreviations alternate on the wheel and the daily advance goes forward by 2. Cool.

Must dig out that vintage Zenith with the French date wheel and examine it more closely...

I suppose I *could* RTFM - but where's the fun in that?
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

2. Likes BillyR___ liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    With you on that one - Much more satisfying to discover features for yourself.
    Unless it's work related or could cost me money if I get it wrong - I'm of the 'When all else fails, read the manual' mindset
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Now *that* is interesting... I just discovered (accidentally) that the date wheel on my newly acquired Rado Diastar is bi-lingual. English and French date abbreviations alternate on the wheel and the daily advance goes forward by 2. Cool.

Must dig out that vintage Zenith with the French date wheel and examine it more closely...

Most of the Seikos sold here in China have that same feature. I think it is really interesting being on this side of the world and they alternate between English and Chinese, not Japanese and Chinese. It's fun to discovering little quirks like that in watches.
    B.-

I love the double language date wheels. Those on my German watches have helped me learn a new language...
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

OK Ken - it's approximately Midnight and you are sitting around staring non-stop at your new Rado for 15 to 30 minutes solid to catch that. You may be getting in to this watch thing too deep.

Eh, the manual is just some other guy's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    OK Ken - it's approximately Midnight and you are sitting around staring non-stop at your new Rado for 15 to 30 minutes solid to catch that. You may be getting in to this watch thing too deep.
    No - actually, you can't see it when it changes normally. The date flips *instantly* forward by 2 clicks.

But...when you adjust the date manually, it steps one click at a time. Very confusing, until the light bulb goes off.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

You learn something new everyday.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Not that uncommon to have both, but less common to change them instantly. Seiko's 4R36 has the same feature, but it has slow day change and you see them going by for a couple of hours around midnight.

Rick "who speaks French at 1AM" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.