Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronometer Certificate

Having read this thread I decided to wear my Certina DS Action Quartz Chronometer today. One can buy one fairly priceworthy and I think it looks quite good. The COSC certificate is included. I am now wearing it on a dark blue horse leather strap which matches the colour.

Have nice day and stay safe!

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    If a re-print due to a lost original can understand a charge. If on a new watch , walk away , sounds like con artists trying it on.

Pretty sure Eddie on his forum when the Navigator was being discussed stated reasoning for going for 'top grade' as similar spec. to 'chonometer' but without the cost of the cert. . To me that reads , no cert. not a chono.

https://calibercorner.com/sellita-grades/

odd statement on paperwork here though

https://calibercorner.com/cosc/

Only got a C W with cert.

Name:  BILD4552.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  51.5 KBName:  BILD4561.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  65.3 KB

P I show the time checks in the manual

Name:  LGIM0330.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  223.6 KB

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    When corresponding with Bremont on the OEM warranty I asked about getting the Chronometer Certificate the warranty card references. They said they could provide me a copy of the certificate, it would me cost $60.

What information would the certificate have on it? The timing performance from the COSC test? Anything else? Is it worth having?

Your thoughts?

If it's a secondhand watch or you lost the cert, I can see the mfr charging to get you a copy. If the original owner and it wasn't included, I wouldn't be happy.

This watch is second hand. I agree with the group here that at this point the COSC certificate is pointless for me.

I can see where an original owner could possibly be interested in seeing the COSC test performance results of his (expensive and fine accuracy touted) watch and having the original certificate. Maybe it would be helpful to know which tested position the watch ran the best and worst at. Or maybe just knowing it performed to the COSC standard (without) a certificate is good enough assurance they are getting what they paid for.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

The test results are of interest, but bear in mind that the movement has had a bit of a journey before it reaches your wrist. There will be a few road journeys in the country of origin, handling and fitting, cargo handling, more road journeys, shop handling and demonstration - and possibly a wide range of temperatures.

COSC only really tells you that a movement is capable of performing to COSC standards, and that one day - maybe six months or two years ago - it did.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    email and a password?
    Yes. I really don't want to be on any more mailing lists...plus who knows who they then sell that email address on to. I sound paranoid, but we've had some identity theft-type issues and one way to avoid future ones is to not give out email addresses.

I suppose I should set up a separate email for that kind of stuff but I'm too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I I think they’re an anachronism, really.
    Just like mechanical watches are!

Actually, do all COSC certs show the timing? I thought I had seen some that just list the movement number, location of test, MFR name, and no raw data about the results.

Quote Originally Posted by watch carefully View Post
    Actually, do all COSC certs show the timing? I thought I had seen some that just list the movement number, location of test, MFR name, and no raw data about the results.

I couldn’t say for sure. The one I had with a Stowa looked like this -

Name:  C6070463-BFBE-4E3E-B59B-5DDF57A549C4.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  86.7 KB

Shown unfolded (which they often are), it wouldn’t appear to have the timings.

11. Likes earl of farnborough liked this post
    Most companies now have them in online databases by the reference number. It's pretty much worthless since it is just the uncased movement. Something could have changed when it was installed. Omega, PP, Rolex and a few other brands now have much tighter certs for the finished watch. There is a certificate card that comes with the watch but no specs other that it meets or exceeds the standard, which in Rolex case, is 100% tighter than COSC. I think COSC is kind of going the way of the Dodo bird as it should. I understand the merits of a third party certifying something I just feel they are not doing it at the appropriate time. I have no issue with the manufacture certifying a watch. Certifying a movement that then goes back to the manufacturer by some shipping method from the lab, then sits in storage for some unknown period, to then be put in a watch most likely untested would have zero value to me. In ETA's case a few better parts are used in a COSC movement which is of far more value to me that a piece of paper that tells me how the movement use to work most likely over a year ago. It seems the certificate was more of a movement manufacture thing in the past ten or fifteen years. I believe I've only gotten them with watches with second party movements like ETA. Even Breitling now has them in the cloud that you can go look them up. As I stated I do see a value in doing that. I want to know how the watch preforms today and if it does not the manufacture is on the hook during the warranty period to get it back in spec. I have my own timing machine to do that.
    Last edited by Samanator; May 8, 2021 at 01:24 AM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Most companies now have them in online databases by the reference number. It's pretty much worthless since it is just the uncased movement. Something could have changed when it was installed. Omega, PP, Rolex and a few other brands now have much tighter certs for the finished watch. There is a certificate card that comes with the watch but no specs other that it meets or exceeds the standard, which in Rolex case, is 100% tighter than COSC. I think COSC is kind of going the way of the Dodo bird as it should. I understand the merits of a third party certifying something I just feel they are not doing it at the appropriate time. I have no issue with the manufacture certifying a watch. Certifying a movement that then goes back to the manufacturer by some shipping method from the lab, then sits in storage for some unknown period, to then be put in a watch most likely untested would have zero value to me. In ETA's case a few better parts are used in a COSC movement which is of far more value to me that a piece of paper that tells me how the movement use to work most likely over a year ago. It seems the certificate was more of a movement manufacture thing in the past ten or fifteen years. I believe I've only gotten them with watches with second party movements like ETA. Even Breitling now has them in the cloud that you can go look them up. As I stated I do see a value in doing that. I want to know how the watch preforms today and if it does not the manufacture is on the hook during the warranty period to get it back in spec. I have my own timing machine to do that.
    It's my understanding that Omega's (at least) METAS certs are for encased movements.