Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Have Any Experience Selling Their Watch Thru a Retailer??

Does Anyone Have Any Experience Selling Their Watch Thru a Retailer??

I see lots of them advertising such services on line. Offering to buy your watch outright, doing a consignment or even trading it up for something nicer. If you do and have any recommendations, I would truly appreciate you letting me know. Either thru this thread or a PM. I'm looking for some quick cash and really have no time to try and sell it myself and go thru all of the hassles. As a last resort..., I'm thinking about eBay with no reserve and a low starting bid. Any other suggestions? It's a higher end watch but not like a Speedie, Sub or PO, etc., that would be very liquid and may be easier to turn.

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy G-Schlocks.

Okay..., Charging Paddles... CLEAR!! BZZZZT... Another Thread Revived!

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

I'm Just Here For The Comic Relief. Nothing I Do or Say Needs to be Taken Seriously.

Its a like a car dealership and trading in your car, which is a rip off....unless you got money to burn and no time to privately sell. I made trades a few times for those reasons and just not wanting to be bothered with your time. I'd be embarrassed to say what I "let go" of watches on trade ins for. Never again unless I'm that loaded where a grand or two doesn't hurt me.

Definitely you won't be able to do as well as selling on your own. That being said, give Rob at Topper a call, and see what he can do. I worked what I felt was a very fair three for one swap with him, understanding that I might have been able to do better if I'd sold privately. But I don't like the hassle.

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    davidsw.com
    he's good with trade ins on certain brands

Thanx for all of the great suggestions so far guys! Looking for cash.
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy G-Schlocks.

Okay..., Charging Paddles... CLEAR!! BZZZZT... Another Thread Revived!

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

I'm Just Here For The Comic Relief. Nothing I Do or Say Needs to be Taken Seriously.

Does Anyone Have Any Experience Selling Their Watch Thru a Retailer??

I've sold, through a shop in our local Jewellery Quarter.
    - I visited numerous watch shops in the area to get a range of quotes
    - Found that a lot of places were only interested in Rolex and other 'recognisable' classics
    - My 2001 Speedy Reduced sold within a fortnight (did it on sale or return basis)
    - I made less than in a private sale, but it was very straightforward, and I didn't have to fret about the postal system or fussy/ fraudulent buyers
    - I was paid by cheque
    Hope that helps :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

I calculated numerous times the discount + what they would give me on a trade and it would be the same if I didn't do a trade at all and purchased from a reputable grey dealer. I know they gotta make a living but I think they would increase their business and obtain nice second hand watches more if they did better with their all around deals. No luxury watch in mint condition less then a year old from a well known maker should lose 50% of its value for a trade in and that's what I found it roughly to be. That 50% is not at retail either and 50% is def on the conservative side. At least in my area and that's a joke. The big Time Machine in NYC also offered me app. 1500 on a mint condition barely a year old Omega SMPc (not Quartz) with all papers and boxes. Then when asking about discounts for a purchase they told me since I'm doing a trade they can't discount as much. Makes no sense and I heard that a lot!? So why would I bother? I can get a bigger discount and keep the watch or trade in the watch and screw myself over? *the hassle of selling privately just annoys me now would be very nice to find a dealer who can offer a fair deal in my area where I don't feel like I just been robbed. Lots of NYC dealers seem to go by this strange concept -

"So your telling me I can do a low ball trade in towards a watch and get 10% off but if I were to just buy the watch with no trade you can give me 25% off? What?"
    Last edited by -JP; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM.

If you trade something in they've still got a watch that needs selling. You buy a watch outright they've shifted one. The second scenario is more attractive, so they're going to put more effort into making it happen.

I don't know what margin jewellers expect to make to make the whole effort worth their while, but when I worked in wine it was 40%.

If an item is $100 new, and it's second hand value is $70 to make 40% they can only buy it for $50.

Retail costs a lot of money, it's terribly inefficient, stock holding must be massive, these margins are a necessity.

I sold my tag to watchfinder.co.uk and got a very fair price - my asking price on eBay that people obviously haggled with, then the fees... They quoted me a lower figure initially, I said "come on chaps" and we agreed on a price - would highly recommend them.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

I can understand that but the whole trade in plus less discount or no trade and bigger discount boggles my mind. Regardless of what they offer for a trade in I would think that would be considered money. Maybe New Jersey would have better deals as people in NYC just have money to burn apparently.