Handmade. That term, alongside hand-finished, is often thrown around in watchmaking, but the term is often misleading. It is very rare that a watch is 100% handmade, and those that are even predominantly handmade usually command incredibly high price tags due to the time-intensive process of fabrication. But what if I told you that a handmade watch was available at a starting price a little above $2,500 USD – would you believe me? I wouldn’t blame you for being sceptical, but the fact of the matter is Swedish watchmaker Holme Finnilš, founder of Levenaig Watches, has truly done just that. Holme’s background is in precision engineering and marine technology, which explains his hands-on approach to watchmaking and maritime influenced designs. Rooted in the teachings of his own father, Holme believes that if you have the skills required to make a certain component yourself, you should do it yourself and he takes personal satisfaction from each completed project by his own hand. Due to the nature of the “handmade” claim, I decided to chat with Holme to have him elaborate on what exactly is and isn’t handmade –* I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. ZB: Can you elaborate on the handmade…

The post A handmade watch for $2.5K USD? The Levenaig Lakeland 38 makes this a reality appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...