Likes Likes:  51
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you have this polished/brushed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    It will show better and fetch more $$$ polished up. If you can get enough (or more) to cover cost, go for it.

I buy scratched up watches because I will scratch them up myself. They also usually represent value because interest is lower (benefit to me when buying). Most people do not think like me though. I am speaking from experience when I say it does impact how easy they are to sell.

I'm the same. I don't mind a watch with honest wear.

This Zenith is a bit of a flashy/blingy piece and figured the collective would give me a good feel if I should polish it up for the next buyer (unless @skywatch decides it's for him).

2. Likes skywatch, Mediocre liked this post
    I had a passing thought of buying it too. I’ve been clicking the ‘like’ button every time it appears. I’ve resisted the urge, but might not have done if it was a black one.

Had I been buying it, I might have met your asking price, and then asked if your guy could refinish it at my expense.

As I said, I think the refinishing cost is the key. If the cost is $50, but it allows you to ask for another $200...

It’s a gamble.

I would definitely get it done. I know it's superficial, but if I was buying I wouldn't give it any consideration as it is. First impressions do count, and I would assume it hasn't been cared for if it was presented like that.

That could lead to me losing out, but it could also mean others will not consider it. I think it's more a case of making it sellable rather than making it worth more..
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

5. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Pretty sure when you've had the polishing done there won't be a sale as it is will be so gorgeous anyway and you'll wonder why thought about selling

7. Likes skywatch, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Thanks for all the honest feedback everyone. I dropped it at my watchmaker. We spoke at length about the case bevels and he's going to lightly polish it by hand, nothing mechanical like the buffing wheel, to keep it pristine. I'd rather leave some scratches than soften the edges. The bracelet should look like new, I even remembered to bring the 5 extra links along to be added back to the bracelet.

9. Likes Strela167, Mediocre liked this post
    Smart. Let him brush/polish the entire bracelet so every link looks the same.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Smart. Let him brush/polish the entire bracelet so every link looks the same.

I thought about brushing the whole bracelet while I had it, but decided to leave it factory for the sale. Let the new owner decide if they want to brush the whole thing. Or maybe someone who only likes straps will buy it and swap it over to a strap and never wear the bracelet

12. Likes skywatch, Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I thought about brushing the whole bracelet while I had it, but decided to leave it factory for the sale. Let the new owner decide if they want to brush the whole thing. Or maybe someone who only likes straps will buy it and swap it over to a strap and never wear the bracelet
    hmm... what strange person would only like straps? I wouldn't trust that weirdo as far as I could throw him.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

14. Likes Samanator, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I thought about brushing the whole bracelet while I had it, but decided to leave it factory for the sale. Let the new owner decide if they want to brush the whole thing.

Correct. Nearly everyone who is looking to buy that watch is looking for originality.

16. Likes Mediocre, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Correct. Nearly everyone who is looking to buy that watch is looking for originality.

This is what I thought. Customization is for watches I intend to keep.

The watch was returned today from my watchmaker. As expected, it looks really good. There are still marks under intense magnification with a loupe, but edge bevels are sharp and the bracelet looks almost new again. Really pleased, he barely charged me for the service.

18. Likes tribe125, skywatch liked this post