Likes Likes:  244

Thread: Ask a style question, get an answer

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    What's the trend for ties these days, M?
    If I may way in. Not skinny but not wide...a somewhat moderately thin width. My sweet spot is 2 5/8". Something in tweed or marled wool looks good this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Upstate View Post
    If I may way in. Not skinny but not wide...a somewhat moderately thin width. My sweet spot is 2 5/8". Something in tweed or marled wool looks good this time of year.
    I'd say that anything less than 3" is thin, at least by contemporary standards. 3.5" is the classic "regular" vintage width (e.g., Hermes ties from the 70s). The move towards 3.75" and even 4"+ is reminiscent of what happened in the 1940s.

In the late 80s, ties got wider again, with much bolder, artsy patterns. And in the 80s, *really* thin ties became popular (~1-2").

Thankfully, after another swing towards wider ties, the momentum seems to be headed the other way. I'm also seeing a lot more grenadine and textured ties, and the advent of smaller but better quality operations, thanks to the web.

One of my tailors, who also sells bespoke ties, has been complaining about how these smaller operations are increasing the demand for good quality wool, especially the more esoteric ones such as shantung.

3. Likes Upstate liked this post