Likes Likes:  24

Thread: **** Building a pilot 6497 (well ST36 ) ****

**** Building a pilot 6497 (well ST36 ) ****

Name:  DSCF5811.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  85.0 KB

Well was bored could not find a tat lot to tinker with so bought some parts a while back and well they all turn up so it's a bit of nite time build happening .

Parts we have a 6497 movement (well that was ordered but think a ST36 is what I got)

A pilot 6497 dial.
    hands.
    case.
    onion crown.

With a 6497 you would loosen the screws and push on the dial then tighten the screws but with this movement it just pushed on dial remember to put the hour cog and washer on before putting the dial on (yes even some one whose done it a good few time can forget ) hmmm we wont meationed that any more

Name:  DSCF5818.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  76.0 KBName:  DSCF5820.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  83.5 KB

Once the dials on then the hands again normal the hour minute hands go on easy but they seemed tight on this movement but did fit but had to be force on more then normal this is an easy one for hand placement no day or date so is't as simple as just lining them up at the 12 and you are good to go.

Name:  DSCF5822.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  78.7 KBName:  DSCF5823.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  78.1 KB

But once the hands are on it looks and moves fine so guess could just be a bad batch of hands maybe not that it matters .

Into the case it goes the spacer fits around the movement so it stops the movement from rocking when being wound so no need to screw and clamp it in place like some cases .

Name:  DSCF5824.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  76.2 KBName:  DSCF5827.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  79.7 KB

That just leaves the stem my one dislike on building is this cutting the stem (mean not that important on a 6497 though as they are quite cheap and easy to replace (when i started doing this on 3602 trying to get stems was for me a costly and time consuming as they came from Russia only so you only sorta had one shot ) but work out well in the end.

Name:  DSCF5828.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  77.1 KBName:  DSCF5829.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  80.0 KB

One pilot watch ready to be worn.

Name:  DSCF5833.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  97.3 KB

Hope this was a fun read guy's and girls

As always ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Well done! I wish I had the steady hand and patience to tinker with watches!

some more harder then others these movement are pocket watch size one of the reason I work on them bigger is easier and they seem just stronger and less like to go wrong when working on them.

this was a pretty straight forward mod as all new parts so just one time go round, as just putting it together with out having to strip or mod is so yes basic really just dial goes on hand go on (you can use a hand press it you want) drop in the case trim stem. jobs a good one ..

should really try it you can pick up some cheap ones ready done to mess with if you wanted ..miss out on one for no money could have strip for parts so yeah would say try it some time.. you don't know you can't till you try
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jul 17, 2021 at 12:14 AM. Reason: typo
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

still going
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the build story, Ismy! I like it.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

6. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Thank you for the build story, Ismy! I like it.
    thanks mate
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes skywatch liked this post