Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A watchmaking mystery - to me at least.

A watchmaking mystery - to me at least.

I was reading a paragraph on timekeeping in a book on a totally non-watch subject. But it got me thinking - or at least the imitation of thinking that I am capable of.

Here's the situation that confuses me.
    The English took it upon themselves to make Greenwich the beginning of the day, the reference the rest of the world would have to use. And then they decide that all points on the earth would be measured from there as well with the "Prime Meridian" running through the old neighborhood as well. (Why not simply London? Or the Queens throne to be more precise? ).
    Whole thing seems rather - well, 'cheeky' to me.
    But what's done, is done, so we have Greenwich as the point from which all timekeeping must be adjusted to.

What confuses me is how the English let the whole watch manufacturing business slip away from them - at various times a number of countries have been known for their watchmaking skills and although there have been some notable companies come out of the country it would simply seem to me that watches made entirely at the location "where timekeeping begins" would be a natural. Advertising copy would make a big deal of the fact that the watches were adjusted exactly at the point where 12:00.000..., exists. Should be watch manufacturers on every corner, the national business of England.

Much like a lot of what we have achieved. The "bulk" has gone from the UK, but we still arguable lead with the very pinnacle; George Daniels and Roger Smith as well as the traditional; Robert Loomes.

Very similar with shoes, cars, suits etc....
    G-Shock: GW-7900-1ER & GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: GMT Ocean One 39mm
    Vostok: Komandirskie 650547

We had a bit of a hooha with the French over who was to have the Prime Meridian
    Greenwich is it, rather than Buck House, cos there's an observatory there, and Greenwich was also home to a Royal Naval College, sailors being navigators & therefore users of maps and timepieces
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440878674.369648.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  107.4 KB
    WUS travelling watch astride the two hemispheres at Greenwich
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    I was reading a paragraph on timekeeping in a book on a totally non-watch subject. But it got me thinking - or at least the imitation of thinking that I am capable of.

Here's the situation that confuses me.
    The English took it upon themselves to make Greenwich the beginning of the day, the reference the rest of the world would have to use. And then they decide that all points on the earth would be measured from there as well with the "Prime Meridian" running through the old neighborhood as well. (Why not simply London? Or the Queens throne to be more precise? ).
    Whole thing seems rather - well, 'cheeky' to me.
    But what's done, is done, so we have Greenwich as the point from which all timekeeping must be adjusted to.

What confuses me is how the English let the whole watch manufacturing business slip away from them - at various times a number of countries have been known for their watchmaking skills and although there have been some notable companies come out of the country it would simply seem to me that watches made entirely at the location "where timekeeping begins" would be a natural. Advertising copy would make a big deal of the fact that the watches were adjusted exactly at the point where 12:00.000..., exists. Should be watch manufacturers on every corner, the national business of England.
    Stay cool mate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_...28Greenwich%29

http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/astrono...facts/harrison

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison

5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440878674.369648.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  107.4 KB
    WUS travelling watch astride the two hemispheres at Greenwich
    Actually, you are about 100metres too far west

7. Likes Churchy, BlackNomad liked this post
    How come? :-)

Apparently GPS tech now puts 0 around 100m to the East of the current mark.

A watchmaking mystery - to me at least.

Cool!
    Although, as a Brit, I think that the rest of the world should be adjusted to fit

Didn't they find that Hawaii was 4 miles out of position too?

11. Likes ro63rto, BlackNomad liked this post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33919429

Quote Originally Posted by Dark30
    Cool!
    Although, as a Brit, I think that the rest of the world should be adjusted to fit

Didn't they find that Hawaii was 4 miles out of position too?
    I think by my calculations, at this time of night , you yourself are 4.2metres west of where you should be

13. Likes BlackNomad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    Apparently GPS tech now puts 0 around 100m to the East of the current mark.
    The same satnafs that send trucks down dead ends/cliffs/etc perhaps