Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Speedbird

Hybrid View

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Speedbird

I’ve become hooked recently on aviation accident investigation shows. (Try getting me on an airplane any time soon.) i learned that that “Speedbird” is used as a call sign by British Airways international flights. I gather that was the name/nickname used by BA/BOAC of a logo painted on the side of its airplanes.

I wondered if there is any history of use of the name “Speedbird” on watches. Time Factors in the UK currently uses the name on a line of pilot watches. I only did a quick Google search, but I couldn’t find any clear use of the Speedbird name prior to Time Factors.

Anyone know any history here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes SyntaxTerror liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    I’ve become hooked recently on aviation accident investigation shows. (Try getting me on an airplane any time soon.)
    You should come with me on a test flight some day after a big installation.

4. Likes Kronos liked this post
    I’ve become hooked recently on aviation accident investigation shows. (Try getting me on an airplane any time soon.) i learned that that “Speedbird” is used as a call sign by British Airways international flights. I gather that was the name/nickname used by BA/BOAC of a logo painted on the side of its airplanes.

I wondered if there is any history of use of the name “Speedbird” on watches. Time Factors in the UK currently uses the name on a line of pilot watches. I only did a quick Google search, but I couldn’t find any clear use of the Speedbird name prior to Time Factors.

I don’t know for sure, but I have a feeling TF are the first to do it, and their use is linked to BOAC - my first Speedbird came with a nato in the BOAC colours IIRC

Yes, Speedbird was/is a call sign for BOAC/British Airways. In addition to the RAF, the IWC was issued to BOAC pilots, particularly those on long-haul flights who needed to do astral navigation.

It was pretty bright of Eddie Platts to use the name, and as far as I know it hadn’t been used before.