Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Is this our inevitable fate? Am I almost there?

Is this our inevitable fate? Am I almost there?

My wife and I were driving past a Luby's last evening at dinner time - she suggested we pull in and eat, so we did. Now I should explain to those members not living in the SW US that Luby's is a cafeteria type resturant and a common joke is that it's patron have one foot,or even one and a half feet, in the grave. (Still, at 62, there are few places I go where I can be one of the youngest people there.)
    Anyway, I start looking around and notice that the men there have a sort of 'uniform', which I have not yet aquired. Yet.

To wit;
    Doeskin, velcro strap, Dr Scholls shoes. They were everywhere.Always that odd color that only the elderly wear.

The jumpsuit (usually with epaulets) was also in abundance.

The Naval Ship cap - aren't there ANY WWII Army vets out there? . (Worse yet - What will I wear? An old Judas Priest Tour hat?)

And yeah, it's 90+ degrees out and one guy already (still?) had his Members Only jacket on

I'm not in any way putting these guys down or making fun of them - especially the men wearing the Vet caps, I'm damned grateful - it just seems like they all get dressed out of the same closet. As I looked around I knew that I see the same thing at the mall or grocery store - it's just the volume at the Luby's that struck me. These guys are only 10 or 20, maybe 30 years older than I am so they must have felt the same way a while back, still, they seem to have been sucked into some old guy mindset when it comes to getting dressed in the morning.
    My dad was a pretty snappy dresser as a young and middle aged guy though he would wear a jump suit when doing woodworking to prevent sawdust getting all over (in) his clothes. But one day he wore the thing down to the minimart to get some smokes - soon he was just putting it on on the morning. And the Dr Scholls replaced his wingtips eventually.MO jackets in numerous colors. It was weird to watch it happening. If it's genetic then I likely have 'the gene'.
    And, if it is inevitable and unavoidable, how long do I have?

2. Likes bacari liked this post
    Blog Entries
    You're ignoring the most essential question: what watches they were wearing?
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes popoki nui, Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Didn't have the heart to check - but I have a gut feeling they were gold toned, quartz Seikos.

6. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Didn't have the heart to check - but I have a gut feeling they were gold toned, quartz Seikos.

I guess I'm going there too, then.

Too many watches, not enough wrists.

8. Likes popoki nui, geoffbot, bacari liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    which watch seems to be mostly acquired on cruises out of FL? My guess would be matching his n hers Movados......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=469137
    http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=230863
    etc...
    http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/roy...o-watches.html
    http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/sho...uy-movado.html
    http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cel...caribbean.html

I'm kinda diggin' the velcro shoes..... just worrying about how to get out of the jumpsuit in a "holiday tummy" emergency.....

As a young lad I once asked my mother if old people hit a certain age then start wearing floral dresses and purple rinse in their hair. Of course not she told me - that's just what they wore when they were young, and continued. I didn't question it until today. 1: I used to wear bomber jackets in the 90s and my hair in curtains (were global 90s fashions all the same?) but don't now, will I continue to move with the fashions/trends? (because even if you don't "follow fashion" the only clothes available in shops are of the era). And 2:, as an extension of the above - where do they get these adult clothes that appear from the 30s?!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    And, if it is inevitable and unavoidable, how long do I have?

You answered your own question:
    These guys are only 10 or 20, maybe 30 years older than I am
    Velcro strap shoes and Navy/NYPD/Bass shop cap will come in 10 years, followed by a jumpsiut in another 10, and then 'Members only' jacket in another 10 years...

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

I have a few places here too that really attract the "Jumpsuit Jamboree" crowd,,,,,,,,
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    The flip side of this phenomenon is people who don't dress their age. A place I used to work there was this middle aged woman who wore leather miniskirts and fishnet stockings, and had her white hair done in a butch cut. She looked like a pro dom and for all I know she might well have been. But that gettup crossed with her obvious middle age was bizarre. She was maybe six foot and rather powerfully built, and she used to pal around with this dumpy little bald-headed homunculus -- the first time I saw the two of them together I laughed so hard I like to puked.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦