Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bracelet experiment for the Broad Arrow Speedy

New bracelet experiment for the Broad Arrow Speedy

I just picked up a vintage beads of rice bracelet from eBay (after waiting quite a while for delivery as international mail is super slow here). I had thought to put it on the Baume & Mercier Capeland as its a pretty old school chrono but the polished beads and the highly polished case seemed a bit much. So I decided to try it out on the Broad Arrow re-issue speedy and I think its a good look!

I've been reading up on various vintage speedy bracelets as I would like a decent one for my Broad Arrow (and perhaps an eventual vintage Speedy Pro) and I don't think the current bracelet is a very good fit, it looks too modern. In the meantime this beads of rice bracelet is probably not the perfect combo but I like the old school look. Now the Broad Arrow being from the turn of the century is not vintage of course but it looks the part especially on the various leather straps and Natos I've been using and this bracelet fits into that aesthetic IMO.

The straight end links and the fact that the bracelet itself is thinner that than the end links also remind me a little of the sort of aftermarket bracelets from the 60s from Gay Freres (who made some very nice high end bead bracelets) or JB Champion whose mesh is strongly associated with NASA astronauts and the Speedy Pro.

I also have a fine milanese mesh on order as a sort of JB Champion substitute although mine is not the Speedy Pro per se.

Anyway what do you guys think?

Instagram: @tempocalypse

2. Likes iyonk, JAGtime liked this post
    I like it! ... it also show your broad arrow speedy can look good with everything

Blog Entries
    A bracelet like that suits a vintage-style watch perfectly. Nice find!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

I think it belongs on a Connie.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

6. Likes rfortson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    I like it! ... it also show your broad arrow speedy can look good with everything
    Thanks Lyonk! The versatility of the BA is in no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    A bracelet like that suits a vintage-style watch perfectly. Nice find!
    Cheers Skywatch, I'll post some pictures of the Capeland combo later on too (another vintage inspired chrono). Unfortunately it doesn't really suit my actual vintage watches, the 5513 Sub and the Lemania chrono (wouldn't fit the 18mm lugs of the Lemania at any rate)

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    I think it belongs on a Connie.
    I quite like the look enough to keep wearing on a regular basis but yes its not quite a "Speedy" bracelet. Still thinking about which bracelet to get.

Not for me I'm afraid! I'd like to see it on the mesh. My mate has a modern(ish) broad arrow on a modern 3 pink bracelet and I think it looks great! Historically inaccurate as you say but hey.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Not for me I'm afraid! I'd like to see it on the mesh. My mate has a modern(ish) broad arrow on a modern 3 pink bracelet and I think it looks great! Historically inaccurate as you say but hey.
    Fair enough, its a matter of taste I guess. I'm quite keen to try the mesh myself, the estimated delivery date is sept 9-12 but you never know in these parts.

My dislike of the modern 3 piece isn't so much about historical inaccuracy as it is about the aesthetics. Actually I don't even dislike the current one, I just like the look of some of the older ones more.

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    Anyway what do you guys think?
    It doesn't 'work' for me, I'm afraid - I don't like to see that much daylight between the lugs.
    Not that you should take any notice of what I think...... Your watch; you wear it any way you please
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    It doesn't 'work' for me, I'm afraid - I don't like to see that much daylight between the lugs.
    Not that you should take any notice of what I think...... Your watch; you wear it any way you please
    Hah, you probably think my tastes abominable as I quite like that for certain types of vintage (or vintage style) watches I take it you didn't see my 5513 experiment inspired by the Tudor 7923?

In this case its back on the original end links but it was fun for while!

Soon after I tried this out Tudor announced their 7923 tribute for only watch with the Ranger's straight end bracelet, I felt validated lol.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/inside-...-watch-company

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/Tudor-H...923-Only-Watch

12. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    how bout them older style stretch bracelet?

that would look better

shame about the lug-case space...grrr...