Likes Likes:  3

Thread: ****modifying a 6497 for a no sub dial build ****

****modifying a 6497 for a no sub dial build ****

So you want a pan a like you see 6497 movement and the dial of a pan (so original panerai had no running seconds)
    so have not found a movement where this is the case (got to be but bit harder mixing and matching parts .

I normal buy a pan type dial say like this.

Name:  DSCF6386.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  110.7 KB

(they do do the sub-nine type of dial now ) I do have a sub nine pan dial in my bits box with a 6497 movement on the way .for a future build, but back to the pan a like no sub dial now the principle is the same whether using a sub six or sub nine.

Now if you just put the dial over the top and just put the hands on away you go looks the part. but more then likely it won't run as you will be putting pressure on the sub dial pin and cog stopping the movement from working so you need to do some thing with the cog well the pinion really , A simple trick is to shorten the pin so it below the level of the top plate this works well but you have to remember to leave enough left to go through the jewel to short and it won't spin right or at all to long and it will be still pushing on the dial .

Here's how to do this .

Name:  DSCF6389.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  156.6 KB

See the centre plate with three screw's and three jewel well take off the three screws and then gentle lift the plate out the way, now you will see three cog the top central cog is fixed in place below that you see the hair spring so to the left you see the smaller cog that will lift out . Now you have to make sure it goes back in the same way but as they are different sizes it helps the plain pin is the top the bottom has a very small secondary cog then a pin .

Name:  DSCF6390.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  163.0 KB

It's this pin that needs trimming ..can't show you as looks like this ones already been done.but when you see yours it will be roughly twice as long (think I will be able to find some pics from memory will add if I do )

Name:  DSCF6393.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  109.3 KBName:  DSCF6398.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  113.6 KB

Once you drop the cog back in and put the plate back on gentle wobble the plate till you feel the pins going through the stones start with the larger centre cog as that will help set the other two . then when right just tighten up the screws again.

Name:  DSCF6402.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  111.4 KBName:  DSCF6404.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  106.2 KB

But before assembly of the rest of the watch flip over and first feel the plate this one is a sub nine so feel for the pin to see if you feel it, if you do you need to trim a bit more off ,(seems like some one tried to sand down the pin ..not a good idea for several reason it put's pressure on the cog and could also bend the pin causing it to stop the movement if touching the side,plus dirt getting in the movement) as you can see from the scratch marks on the plate around where the sub second is located.

Name:  DSCF6405.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  137.8 KB

If happy flip over tighten the screws the rest of the way and test movement .(just remember before working on the rest of your build ti take the tense back off as you don't want it working as you set you hands as can cause a misalignment int hands setting .

Hope this help you mod your 6497/8 movement.

As always ismy
    Last edited by is that my watch; Sep 1, 2021 at 02:38 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes sharkyfisher, Strela167, DJW GB liked this post
    seems I did a similar thread a few years back with a skeleton movement but it was not greatly written so hope this time round it reads better ?
    found when looking for the pre-cut cog pic
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1