Likes Likes:  6

Thread: **** Stripping's and re-building a 6497/8 ****

**** Stripping's and re-building a 6497/8 ****

well I have two faulty full metal 6497 movements one partly strip down one full movement. I'm going to swap over base plate and rebuild to see if it fixes the issue been having with the one the others a donor so does have some missing parts but should be able to build one out the two.

Stage One.

Name:  DSCF6363.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  147.6 KB

Make sure the watch is unwound first you can do this if charge by wind the stem and you will see the ratchet release,their is a little hole in the ratchet if you put the tweeze in their. it holds the ratchet clear of the winding cog. then let it slowly unwind in your fingers. we do this because if fully wound and you remove the tense by removing the barrel plate or centre plate then it snap's unwound which can cause damage to the movement .

Depend what it is you need to do, will make you strip the movement in different ways and how completely . you need to break it down, in this instance as a full strip down then going barrel way first . but you can just do certain parts if needed ( hair spring replace, barrel replace etc etc )

Stage two.

Now I remove the screw and cog for the barrel ,then the two screw's the blue ones holding the plate in place, now lift off plate. You will see the barrel cog which just lift out. you will also see the stem cogs I leave the stem in but the clamp loose so you can lift them off in a set.

Name:  DSCF6364.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  137.4 KBName:  DSCF6365.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  131.1 KB

I remove the three screws holding the middle plate in place. exposing the cogs the middle cog will stay in place as fixed through the plate. I remove the others ( side note will do a thread on removing just the centre plate to gain access to the sub-seconds cog )

Name:  DSCF6367.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  142.8 KBName:  DSCF6369.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  106.1 KB

It's good to have pics or refence of which order or way up they go. I hit a snag here and might answer why the movement had a issue the sub-seconds cog should just lift out .but not wanting to .( on doing the other thread first on modifying a movement I said it looks like it had been sanded so think it bent the pin ) which did meationed in the other thread could happen if you did this. will leave in place till I strip down the pin and pallet which normal I would leave alone unless a fault very small and trick part is the pin and pallet plate .

Name:  DSCF6370.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  122.0 KB

Going to remove the hair spring next . remove the one screw and lift up and away at a slightly angle. now normal would not bother moving the pin and pallet plate (as I said above but need it out the way to see why the sub cog is not coming out easy) but it removes by one screw and lifts off . as you see the sub cog came out easy now.you could remove the pin and pallet by those two blue screws but don't see a need . think on a proper panerai you would need to do this to remove the sub cog anyway so might be good to see .

Name:  DSCF6371.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  144.8 KB

That's stripping down the 6497 movement.

so on rebuilding it

Stage three .

Well you simple go in reverse just making sure the cogs are in the their jewels both top and bottom you tend to feel it when right. when you come to the barrel cog you want to loosely screw it on first (just enough to hold it on then move the ratchet cog out your way and push the cog down and twist slightly it you should feel it pop in place as the teeth catch each other. then let the ratchet go it should if you are holding the cog down snap in place then tighten the screw the rest of the way.

Name:  DSCF6373.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  136.8 KBName:  DSCF6380.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  158.7 KBName:  DSCF6381.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  128.4 KB

Hope that may help you trouble spot your movement.

As always ismy
    Last edited by is that my watch; Sep 1, 2021 at 09:34 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes skywatch, DJW GB, Strela167, Jose G liked this post
    Blog Entries
    You make it look so simple! When my watch addiction flooded back in 12 years ago or so, I thought I would be doing more activities like this. Then, I realized my eyesight couldn't handle the detail. I love these little wiggly bits, and I am happy to see threads showing a good refurnish project. Thanks ISMY!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    You make it look so simple! When my watch addiction flooded back in 12 years ago or so, I thought I would be doing more activities like this. Then, I realized my eyesight couldn't handle the detail. I love these little wiggly bits, and I am happy to see threads showing a good refurnish project. Thanks ISMY!
    Thanks mate as i say it's easier working on the bigger movement when reduce in size it gets tricky to see the small parts so yeah , thinking of trying a nh35 build as bought a scream dial supposedly for a nh movement type ..so just looking at cases and hands and movements now
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    Thanks mate as i say it's easier working on the bigger movement when reduce in size it gets tricky to see the small parts so yeah , thinking of trying a nh35 build as bought a scream dial supposedly for a nh movement type ..so just looking at cases and hands and movements now
    did one in the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy