Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the live music thread

the live music thread

We have a music thread, but what about seeing it in the flesh? I'm a lifelong lover of live music, have been to over 300 concerts and shows, big and small.

Been to anything cool lately? Have anything coming up?

- tomorrow night I am seeing USA open for MotherMother, 2 excellent and unique Canadian bands

-before tomorrow's show I will be standing in line to get a bracelet and hopefully have my number called so I can buy tickets for Royal Blood opening for the Foo Fighters next June.

- Dave Matthews, every year (seen him I think 17 times)

- last night I had tickets to see Thomas dausgard conduct Jan lisiecki (19 y/o Canadian pianist phenom) on piano, but I gave them up to go to the Leaf game instead. I already know he'll be back and will catch him then.

- been to the Toronto symphony orchestra 8 times this year

- I have been offered ticket to Skinny Puppy next week but don't know if it's the show for me

- tickets for Tokyo Police Club next month

- will be going to the recreation of Physical Graffiti in the spring

- there will be several off-the-cuff club shows intertwined with all of this. Best way to discover new music.

What say you?
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

I caught Nick Cave this summer, I went to Gary Numan for a laugh and came out pleasantly surprised and tonight it's DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist.

Through my business I sponsor a music festival here in town which made the list of festivals to see in Canada last year. Lots of new acts come to that and it is always three days of mayhem and fun.

3. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post
    Shadow and Cut Chemist! That takes me back... I used to listen to a lot of Jurrasic 5.

the live music thread

Nick Cave (with The Bad Seeds) was surprisingly good for a man who can't sing, but Grinderman were just awful when I saw them.

Saw Jurassic 5 last year in Brixton. Brought back some memories.

Never seen DJ Shadow, but I did see a collective who performed Endtroducing completely live. That was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Nick Cave (with The Bad Seeds) was surprisingly good for a man who can't sing, but Grinderman were just awful when I saw them.
    Back in The Birthday Party days it was always a lottery- a horrific show followed by a great one. I watched his performance on Austin City Limits the other day. It was the same tour as this summer's show and he was significantly better in Calgary than Austin.

I made it over to ACL almost a decade ago. Had a great time. I'd love to visit Austin again for SXSW

I made it over to ACL almost a decade ago. Had a great time. I'd love to visit Austin again for SXSW
    I'm 3 years in a row with full NXNE wristbands, but have never made it down to SXSW. It is very much on the list.

We did ACL three years in a row but had serious doubts the year the Eagles headlined and stopped the next year when Kanye was the closer.

The only thing better than going to Austin for some music and food is to go to Austin and then on to New Orleans for more .

I love live concerts. Since they built the new arena here, we've had some great acts. I'm a bit of a classic rocker, so we tend to go to those kind of shows. Lately:
    -Heart
    -PRISM
    -John Fogerty
    -Meatloaf
    -Trooper
    Fogerty is coming again next week, and we have great seats for that.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

12. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post